San Diego City Council Votes for Transit First

Anne Tolch

Jun 28, 2011, 12:37:53 PM6/28/11
to san-diego-region-ag...@googlegroups.com, Elyse Lowe, solan...@roadrunner.com

Friends,

In a close vote yesterday afternoon the San Diego City Council voted to support the Land Use and Housing Committee’s Comment Letter to SANDAG urging a ‘Transit First’ approach for our regional transportation.

It was inspiring to watch some of our leaders in action.  Sherri Lightner demonstrated incredibly courageous leadership, holding her ground against the attempt by Carl DeMaio, Lori Zapf and Kevin Faulconer to force a watering down of the letter to ‘multi modal transit’ which would have served as a green light to SANDAG to build all the roads they want.  Marti Emerald was eloquent and on the mark as always.  Council President, Tony Young provided a powerful voice, standing up for the (short and long term) wellbeing of his constituents.  The full scoop is below compliments of Steve Goetsch.

Love and appreciation to everyone who spoke up on this in person or by writing council members.  I believe it is absolutely what made the difference.

Please join me in sending an email thanking the council members who stood up to protect our future by voting YES.

Best to you always,

Anne

SD Council sends transit-first message to SANDAG

By Robert J. Hawkins,

Originally published June 27, 2011 at 6:24 p.m., updated June 27, 2011 at 7:19 p.m.

Supporting documentation:

Read San Diego City Council Resolution S402

The San Diego City Council Monday backed a push for aggressive development of mass transit services before freeway expansion.

The council voted 5-3 to send that message to the San Diego Association of Governments which is wrapping up the final touches on a 40-year, $196 billion county transportation spending plan.

The transit-first resolution picks up the banner dropped by Senator Christine Kehoe’s I-5 expansion bill, SB-468, which started life as a “transit-first” statement but has morphed its way through the state Legislature into an endorsement for adding four lanes to the highway between La Jolla and Oceanside.

The city council strongly urges SANDAG to “prioritize mass transit infrastructure and sustainable transportation projects over highway expansion” in its 2050 Regional Transportation Plan.

Council member Sherri Lightner noted that the statement reflects the city’s 2008 General Plan, which calls for reduced dependence on automobiles and for expansion of transit services.

"We are stating our concerns as the City of San Diego," she said. "If we don't make mass transit a priority, it will never become a priority."

Before adopting the resolution, the council heard from about 20 transit-dependent residents and advocates who described the challenges faced in getting to jobs and school and shopping when the bus or trolley is your only option.

"When the hardest decision you have to make is how to get from A to B," observed Council member Todd Gloria, "that does not set the region up for success."

The Regional Economic Development Council and the Chamber of Commerce also weighed in, expressing concern over how the council arrived at its stance and whether the council might be pressing for projects for which no money exists.

SANDAG board vice-chairman Jack Dale said he embraced the need for mass transit but defended the plan’s “balanced effort” between highways, transit and bicycling/pedestrian projects.

"I agree with almost everything I heard," said Dale, a Santee council member. "but there are certain realities. In some places transit will work. There are some where we'll need to widen the highway."

Dale pointed out that most funding for transportation comes already committed to specific modes. "It is right to do everything we can for transit," he said, "but when we get the dollars we have to accept them."

Several council members shared that perspective.

The three voting against the resolution -- Carl DeMaio, Lorie Zapf and Kevin Faulconer -- all wanted the language modified to “give SANDAG direction but allow for flexibility,” as DeMaio framed it.

"SANDAG's approach is the right one," said Faulconer, "to end on the word 'balance' -- all modes of transportation."

But DeMaio also questioned whether the large number of advocates at the meeting was representative of the "public will."

"The rest of the public is sitting on I-5 and I-15, stuck in traffic," he said. "I don't believe this (testimony) reflects public sentiment."

But in breaking the tie, council President Tony Young said, “I am surprised to hear Ms. Lightner is not supportive of a balanced approach. We have to advocate for transit-oriented transportation. If not, we're advocating for areas outside of our city.”

bob.h...@uniontrib.com(619) 718-5253 • Twitter: sdutTranport