Rails 6, Blacklight 7, Bootstrap 4 dependency work needed on Hyrax

Hardesty, Juliet Louise

Apr 5, 2022, 5:58:07 PM4/5/22
to samver...@googlegroups.com
Calling all devs - Hyrax has dependency work that needs attention!

Hyrax is currently using Rails 5.2 and does not support Rails 6 yet. Rails 5.2 is reaching end of life support on June 1 (less than 2 months away - https://endoflife.date/rails). In order to support Rails 6, we need to upgrade to Blacklight 7 which also means upgrading to Bootstrap 4. Work has been happening on this but we need to move this along to complete the remaining issues and make sure we can use Rails 6 for Hyrax:

This work has been occurring in the following branch on Github: https://github.com/samvera/hyrax/tree/bl7bootstrap4

As far as I know this work does not conflict with any of the Valkyrization work that is happening in the “main" branch on Hyrax. The “bl7bootstrap4" branch was rebased to “main" in our most recent Hyrax Maintenance Working Group sprint (ending April 1) so I think we are just looking at the remaining changes that need to occur to support Bootstrap 4 / Blacklight 7 / Rails 6.

Special thanks to Margaret Kibo, Mat Jordan, Adam Arling, Dananji Withana, Daniel Pierce, Brad Watson, and tamsin johnson for moving this so far along!

I encourage community members to pitch in now if you can.

Thank you and please contact me or Heather Greer Klein (hea...@samvera.org, our Samvera Community Manager) if you have any questions.
Julie Hardesty
Hyrax Product Owner

Juliet L. Hardesty