Ruby IRUS Analytics Gem for COUNTER 5

Skip to the first unread message

Nabeela Jaffer

23 Jul 2021, 13:14:1123/07/2021
to samvera-community
Hello Samvera Community folks,
We recently worked on enhancing the Ruby IRUS Analytics gem for Hyrax and other Ruby applications. Institutional Repositories Usage Statistics (IRUS) is a standards-based statistics aggregation service for repositories, enabling them to share and compare usage statistics using the COUNTER standard.

Deep Blue Documents, a DSpace instance, has been fully integrated with IRUS analytics since January 2021. We participated in the IRUS-US trial from May 2018-June 2020, and resumed in January 2021 after IRUS-US became a full production system. We're using it as a benchmark for our own statistics-gathering efforts, and as more institutional repositories adopt it we look forward to contributing to a nationwide (and worldwide) effort to demonstrate the importance of repositories to researchers.

The previous version of the Ruby IRUS gem had the capability of tracking full-text downloads i.e. Requests only. Fritz Freiheit, a Lead Developer at U-M Library IT worked on adding the feature for tracking the metadata views i.e. Investigations in COUNTER 5. The new gem is integrated with Michigan’s data repository, Deep Blue Data, and is publicly available on GitHub.

The team worked closely with the Jisc team led by Laura Wong, Project Manager at Jisc. Special thanks to the IRUS team David Chaplin at Jisc and Paul Needham for helping us understand the IRUS workflows, Jose Blanco and Seth Johnson from U-M for helping with the documentation and reviewing the code.

Best regards,
Nabeela Jaffer
Program Manager for Strategic Projects
University of Michigan, Library IT