2022 Samvera Technology Maintenance Pledge Drive update

Heather Greer Klein

Nov 30, 2021, 2:16:33 PM11/30/21
to samvera-...@googlegroups.com, samvera-...@googlegroups.com, samver...@googlegroups.com

The 2022 maintenance pledge drive is going strong, but we'd love to see more institutions participate! The drive will remain open into 2022, however if you'd like to contribute during the first third of the year, please submit by December 15th so we can include your hours in planning.

More information can be found below, and on the Pledge Page.

  • Maintenance will be planned and scheduled within three timeframes:

    • Section 1 (January 1 - April 30, 2022)

    • Section 2 (May 1 - August 31, 2022)

    • Section 3 (September 1 - December 31, 2022)

Who can participate and how much time is expected?
  • Institutional decision-makers and individual contributors can pledge any number of participant hours within any Section.

  • There is no minimum or maximum number of hours expected, and no expectation that an institution can contribute to every Section. Plan to allocate staff time in the Section(s) that are best for your organization.

  • Participants can be anyone at any level who can contribute to code, technical documentation and/or technology training.

How do I know what I will work on and who is planning this?
  • Participants will be able to select maintenance tasks based on their skills and interests and to work on the technologies most relevant or interesting to them.

  • Providing this commitment allows Product Owners and the Roadmaps Alignment Group to plan for maintenance work based on who will be available to contribute to maintenance work, for how long, and when the work will occur. All planning is collaborative with the contributing individuals.

How to Pledge:

  1. Determine the number of hours your institution, organization, or yourself as an individual contributor can commit in Section(s) of 2022.

  2. Determine who will fulfill the hours. Committed hours can be assigned to participants at any level, as long as they are willing to contribute to code maintenance, training, and/or documentation.

  3. Select from three scheduling options for the hours of each individual who will be contributing to maintenance:

    1. Maintenance Working Group option: An individual is committed at .5 or .25 FTE (320 hours or 160 hours), scheduled in 2 week sprints (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off), for a full four month Section.

    2. Sprint option: An individual is committed at 1 or .5 FTE for 2 weeks (80 or 40 hours). Individuals new to the Community should plan to also participate in Onboarding and Orientation, which will be scheduled for the beginning of each Section.

    3. Flexible Hours option: An individual will contribute for a set number of hours in a Section (every Monday, two afternoons per week, etc.) to work independently on maintenance tasks and/or in coordination with maintenance groups (this could be work on maintenance Github issues, training updates, documentation, PR review, bug fixes, etc).

  4. Institutions can choose to commit hours to a Section without indicating a scheduling option or specific individual(s). However, the option(s) and the name of the participating individual(s) must be shared at least 30 days prior to the start of each Section, to allow for sufficient planning time.

  5. Fill out this form to register your contributions.

  6. If you have any questions please reach out to Heather Greer Klein, Samvera Community Manager, on Slack or hea...@samvera.org.

Heather
-----
Heather Greer Klein (she/her/hers)
Samvera Community Manager
Working from Durham, NC (US Eastern Time Zone), on land traditionally cared for by the Shakori and Eno peoples.

jlha...@iu.edu

Dec 2, 2021, 4:25:32 PM12/2/21
to samvera-community
Hi - This is specific to Hyrax but might be useful info:

When considering the pledges you will be making for 2022 Samvera Technology Maintenance, if you are interested in helping with maintenance work for Hyrax, the following is the schedule for Hyrax Maintenance Working Group sprints that will be taking place in each of the sections available for pledging next year:

January 1 - April 30, 2022

- Jan 24 - Feb 4
- Feb 21 - Mar 4
- Mar 21 - April 1
- April 18 - April 29

May 1 - August 31, 2022

- May 16 - 27
- June 13 - 24
- July 11 - 22
- Aug 8 - 19

September 1 - December 31, 2022

- Sep 5 - 16
- Oct 3 - 14
- Oct 31 - Nov 11
- Nov 28 - Dec 9

Thank you all for making your pledges to maintain Samvera next year and let me know if I can answer any questions.
Julie Hardesty
Hyrax Product Owner

Juliet L. Hardesty
Metadata Analyst/Librarian