Fedora Newsletter: August 2022

Arran Griffith

Aug 16, 2022, 2:11:13 PM8/16/22
to Fedora Community, Fedora Tech, Fedora Leaders, Fedora Member Liaisons, samvera-...@googlegroups.com, isla...@googlegroups.com, South Central States Fedora Users, DC Fedora Users, German Speaking Fedora Users

Welcome to the August edition of the Fedora Newsletter. It’s been a hot, busy summer so far, and it’s not over yet! Read on to find out where we’ve been and what we’ve been up to.

NEWS

Join Now

Join the Fedora Program Team!

The Fedora program team is excited to announce that it is now accepting applications for the position of Fedora Developer. As part of the DuraSpace Community Supported Programs team at LYRASIS, a Fedora developer will focus their time and efforts on the maintenance and support of the platform while working collaboratively with the community.

This opportunity is a remote, part-time position (approx. 20-25 hrs/week) with the potential to grow into a full-time role.

You can see the full position description here and resumes and cover letters can be submitted online here: https://bit.ly/3SFs2jV

Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, review of applications will begin August 29th, 2022.

Come join a fun, exciting team who is working toward advancing Fedora to best serve it’s broad global community!

Fedora Community Open House

In July we hosted 2 extremely well-attended and successful Fedora Open Houses! Thank you to all who were able to attend and a special thank you to those who were able to share their migration stories with attendees. With Fedora 6 available for download and with the added resource of the Migration Toolkit, which is being actively used, we are thrilled to be hearing from those institutions who have undertaken their migration process.

In case you missed it, watch the recording here: Fedora Summer Open House

Fedora Summer Open House

Migration Stories

This is a migration success story shared with us from the team at the University of Maryland College Park. They recently underwent a massive migration from a legacy media system running Fedora 2 to a new Avalon Media System running Fedora 5. This is the culmination of years of hard work from the team and demonstrates an innovative use of the available migration tools. The team was able to create a Python script to extend the migration-utils which was used to convert the extracted data into the Avalon batch import CSV format. You can see their folk of the migration-utils here: https://github.com/umd-lib/migration-utils/tree/feature/LIBAVALON-143

A special thank you goes out to Josh Westgard and Kate Dohe for sharing their experience with us. It’s these stories and use cases that are critical to help other community members see and understand the possibilities that exist.

If you and your team are about to embark on a migration of your own or have already migrated, we would love to hear from you! Send me an email to arran.g...@lyrasis.org to reach out.

Where to Find Us

August - NISO Open Source & Community Supported Infrastructure (Virtual)

·     Presentation: Sustainability Planning for Fedora’s Future Using the It Takes a Village Guidebook

September - iPres 2022, Glasgow, Scotlanld

·     Workshop: Welcome to Fedora 6.0: Features, Migration Support & Integrations for Community Use Cases

October - DLF and affiliated events, Baltimore, MD

·     Learn@DLF Workshop: Welcome to Fedora 6.0: Features, Migration Support & Integrations for Community Use Cases

·     DLF Forum: Fedora 6.0: Feature Highlight & Community Update

·     DigiPres: Fedora 6.0: Features and the OCFL

·     Access 2022, Ottawa, Canada

·     Presentation: IMLS Grant Update - Fedora Migration Paths & Tools: A Pilot Project

See a conference you want to attend and have a collaborative idea you’d like to work with the Fedora team on? Email us at arran.g...@lyrasis.org. We would love to work together on join presentations to help bring Fedora to more users.

What's Happening in Our Partner Communities

Samvera

·     Call for Proposals for Samvera Connect has been extended to the following important dates:

·     Submit a proposal for a Panel or Presentation – Deadline extended to September 2nd

·     Submit a proposal for a lightning talk by September 30th

·     Submit a proposal for a virtual poster by September 30th

·     Register to attend Samvera Connect for FREE here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/samvera-connect-2022-registration-358841513627

·     Avalon 7.4 is now avaliable. Full release notes can be found here

·     Hyrax-Valkyrization Sprint taking place Sept 6-16th, 2022

·     Find out more and sign up to participate here: https://bit.ly/3JKxspK

Islandora

·     End-of-Life for Islandora legacy announced

·     The Islandora Foundation’s efforts will be almost entirely directed toward Islandora 2.0 activities, and thus does not expect to organize any further full releases for the Islandora Legacy ecosystem.

OCFL

·     Notes from the last community meeting can be found here: https://github.com/OCFL/spec/wiki/2022.08.10-Community-Meeting

·     Next community meeting will take place: Wednesday September 14th 4pm BST / 11am ET / 8am PT | Thursday July 15th 1am AEDT

MEMBERSHIP - Your Support is Valuable!

Fedora is an open-source, community-supported program funded entirely by membership contributions. Your funding supports our staff who work to develop, teach, engage and support all active Fedora users. Without our members, we would not be able to support the preservation of the vital content contained within the repositories of our users. Find out how you can help. Learn more and become a member today!

Fedora Registry

Part of our mission with Fedora 6.0 is to better understand our user install base. As a result, we are reaching out to the community now to help with these efforts. Is your institution in our registry? If so, are all the details up to date? Check out the current Fedora Registry here: https://duraspace.org/fedora/community/fedora-users/

Need an update or need to add your instance? Use this link: https://duraspace.org/registry/register-your-site/

By understanding our install base and what versions of Fedora are being used, we will be better prepared to provide the support necessary for our entire community.

GET INVOLVED

Fedora is designed, built, used, and supported by the community. Join the conversation on our Fedora Slack channel or sign up for our Fedora community mailing list to stay in the loop. You can find more details here.

LYRASIS | 3390 Peachtree Road, NE, Suite 400, Atlanta, GA 30326

Sent by membercomm...@lyrasis.org powered by

Trusted Email from Constant Contact - Try it FREE today.