Fedora Newsletter: June 2024

1 view

Arran Griffith

Jul 16, 2024, 10:12:33 AM (6 days ago) Jul 16
to Fedora Tech, Fedora Leaders, fedora_commu...@lyrasislists.org, Fedora Community, Fedora Committers, isla...@googlegroups.com, samvera-...@googlegroups.com, ocfl-co...@googlegroups.com, South Central States Fedora Users, DC Fedora Users, German Speaking Fedora Users

Image of Lyrasis Logo

Welcome to the first summer issue of the Fedora newsletter. As we move into July we have a lot to share with you, so follow along with our recent community news.

NEWS

Fedora Gets a Facelift

In late December the Community Supported Technologies Division at Lyrasis funded a website UX/UI redesign project to provide much-needed updates to the 5 community supported programs who have their Organizational Home at Lyrasis. Fedora, ArchivesSpace, DSpace, Vivo and CollectionSpace worked collaboratively with an external website UX/UI designer to bring new life to the program websites.

Today we are excited to unveil the new face of the Fedora website!

A big thank you to the Website Working Group who have been busy behind the scenes drafting content, evaluating changes and reviewing pages. Thank you to Jennifer Gilbert, Tim Shearer, Scott Prater and Maria Esteva for your contributions and commitment to seeing this through.

If you are interested in joining the Website Working Group, we have more work ahead of us involving the areas of the website we want to add in the future. Please reach out to Arran Griffith to join in the effort.

Fedora Showcase 2024 logo

Fedora 2024 Virtual Showcase October 1-3, 2024

SAVE THE DATE: October 1-3, 2024 - We are excited to be hosting the 2nd annual Virtual Fedora Showcase this fall. For 3, ½ days we will come together (virtually) to learn, share and connect with the global Fedora community in an event centered around YOU, our users.

This event will be FREE for all attendees. Everyone is welcome!

In the coming weeks we will begin to share details about submitting presentation proposals along with registration details. If you are not signed up to any of our other communication channels, do it now so you don’t miss out!

See you in October!

Membership Funding Opportunity Update

This fiscal year, Fedora Governance and the Fedora Program Team are aiming to raise $25,000 above our anticipated budget in an effort to complete specific, time-sensitive tasks identified as high-priority by the community. See our Community Roadmap for details.

The additional funds will enable us to increase the Fedora lead developer from 50% to 80% of their time this year, to work on critical Fedora updates, development and testing. Specifically, we are looking to accomplish the following:

  1. Critical security and stability updates
  2. Improved performance and scalability
  3. Improved documentation and technical resources
  4. Continued support for migrations to current versions of Fedora
  5. Integrations with other repository platforms
  6. Continue maintenance and support

Image of Fedora Roadmap

See more specifics on the Fedora Community Roadmap.

But we need YOU

Becoming a member is the best way to support the Fedora Program and its community. This commitment allows us to strategically prioritize technical work and community engagement to support all users into the future. To learn more about Fedora Membership, reach out to Fedora Program Manager, Arran Griffith.

Learn about Fedora Membership Benefits.

If you are interested in supporting a one-time contribution toward these efforts, please reach out to Arran to arrange.

What's Happening in Our Partner Communities

Samvera

  • Hyrax is seeking contributors to assist with Accessibility efforts

·         There are a number of unassigned accessibility tickets on the Hyrax Github suitable for all developer skill levels.

  • Samvera Board announces 2 new members: Aaron Collier - Stanford University, and Emily Lynema - Indiana University
  • Regional Meetings announced for the US and UK

·         Details on specific dates, times and locations can be found online.

Islandora

  • ICC is seeking a new Chair. See details of the roles and responsibilities.

Membership Opportunities

Fedora is an open-source, community-supported program funded entirely by membership contributions. Your funding supports our staff who work to develop, teach, engage and support all active Fedora users. Without our members, we would not be able to support the preservation of the vital content contained within the repositories of our users. Find out how you can help. Learn more and become a member today!

Fedora Registry We've Moved!

With the launch of the new Fedora website, we have also moved the Fedora Registry. In order to see the most accurate information on global Fedora installations, we are asking all users to submit their updated Fedora information via our new registry submission form.

  • This new form allows you to register multiple Fedora instances in one submission, eliminating the need for multiple entries.

The registry’s goal is to help us understand our install base, and what versions of Fedora are being used globally. This critical information allows the program team to continue to provide the support necessary for our entire community of users.

GET INVOLVED

Fedora is designed, built, used and supported by the community. Join the conversation on our Fedora Slack channel or sign up for our Fedora community mailing list to stay in the loop. Find more details here.

Lyrasis | 3390 Peachtree Road, NE Suite 400 | Atlanta, GA 30326 US

Constant Contact