Samvera Community Newsletter July 2021

Heather Greer Klein

Jul 6, 2021, 2:28:33 PM7/6/21
to comm...@samvera.org

In this issue:

  1. Summer Developer Congress starts next week -- all levels welcome and supported

  2. Q&A Sessions start July 21:

    1. July 21: getting started with Hyrax engine development

    2. August 4th: Hyrax documentation (what we have and what we need)

  3. Sign up to facilitate a Q&A Session

  4. LAST CALL: Please allocate staff to the Hyrax Maintenance Working Group 2021 Cycle 2 (July-December 2021)

  5. Samvera Repositories Online Tour is live

  6. In case you missed it - June news round-up

1 -- Sign up for Summer Developer Congress -- all levels welcome and supported

The summer Developer Congress is next week, July 12 - 16, 2021.

This Congress is perfect for:

  • Anyone who writes code or software documentation, especially those who are new to the Community or to Hyrax.

  • Developers interested in working on a specific development topic.

Current potential topics for work during the week are:

  • Running Hyrax locally

  • Implement data seeds

  • Extend metadata.yml to ActiveFedora::Base work models

  • Make feature tests runnable in docker environment

  • Documentation on code base patterns to help educate new contributors

  • Implementing a CLA checker

To join, just add your name to the participants list.

2 -- Q&A Sessions start July 21

These half hour, informal learning sessions will be led by and for Samverans with technical interests and are an opportunity to dive deep and ask questions.

Upcoming sessions:

Learn more about sessions and suggest topics for future sessions on the Q&A Sessions wiki page.

3 -- Sign up to facilitate a Q&A Session

Who we need: Samverans at any level of technical experience to lead a session. This can be a general Q&A time or demo time for a particular feature or aspect of technology, a review of a common or tricky process, a walkthrough of specific troubleshooting steps, etc.

To volunteer to facilitate just claim an open session on the Q&A Sessions wiki page.

4 -- LAST CALL Hyrax Maintenance Working Group 2021 Cycle 2 (July-December 2021)

 We would like to see new participants in this cycle. Relying on the same individuals and institutions for Hyrax maintenance will lead to burnout.

We need institutional leaders to commit .25 or .5 FTE from Developers and GitHub issues testers for July-December 2021. Work is done in 2-week sprints, two weeks on and two weeks off.

To participate: Add your name to the team list on the Hyrax Maintenance Working Group page (https://samvera.atlassian.net/l/c/7Ez5hbR1)

For more information: See the Hyrax Maintenance Working Group page (https://samvera.atlassian.net/l/c/7Ez5hbR1) For questions, contact Julie Hardesty (jlha...@iu.edu), Hyrax Product Owner

5 -- Samvera Repositories Online Tour is live

The Samvera Repositories StoryMap is an easy way to learn about a variety of Samvera-based repositories and the unique collections available from institutions in the Samvera Community. You’ll see community oral history projects, coronavirus research, studies on the grasses of Madagascar, and more!

If you’re interested in adding your repository to the tour, just fill out this form.

6 -- In case you missed it - June news round-up

The Samvera Community Newsletter is a monthly collection of news, activities, and calls to action in the Samvera Community. Items are taken from the samvera-community list or you can send hea...@samvera.org your news, blog posts, presentations, etc. for inclusion in this newsletter and/or on the Samvera.org blog.

Heather
-----
Heather Greer Klein (she/her/hers)
Samvera Community Manager
Working from Durham, NC (US Eastern Time Zone)