Sunsetting of the Community Safety WG, Proposal for Community Guidelines WG

Hannah Frost

Nov 23, 2021, 6:30:26 PM11/23/21
to samvera-...@googlegroups.com, Hannah Frost
Hello, everyone,

This message has two parts: one marking an end, another marking a beginning (with an invitation).

The Samvera Community Safety Working Group officially wound down this month. As we shared at this past Samvera Connect, we accomplished our goals to establish an updated Code of Conduct and Anti-Harassment Policy and to institute a formal process for responding to reports of violations of these policies. The fruits of this work can all be accessed at the Samvera Community Safety micro-wiki.

Many thanks, again, to the contributions and support of the working group members:
• Hannah Frost, facilitator (Stanford)
• Heather Greer Klein, Samvera Community Manager
• Jessica Hilt (UC San Diego)
• Simeon Warner (Cornell)
• Rosalyn Metz (Emory)
• Michael B. Klein (Northwestern)
• Jeremy Friesen (Notre Dame)
• Alicia Morris (Tufts)
• Jon Cameron (Indiana U)
• Nabeela Jaffer (U Michigan)
• Bess Sadler (Princeton)
• Chris Awre (Hull)
• Brian McBride (U Utah)
• Kevin Kochanski (Notch8)

A new working group is spinning off and spinning up in early 2022 to take on the final piece of this greater work package, a written set of community guidelines. According to consultant Annalee Flower Horne, "Community Guidelines communicate your community’s values and culture to new and existing community members. The reason to create specific guidelines instead of just saying 'be excellent to each other' or 'treat each other politely' is that there are a wide range of cultural norms across different communities–even micro-communities, like open source projects." Samvera has had pieces of such guidelines, but early versions have been lost over time and existing pieces need review and refreshing.

We already have foundational work in place to bootstrap this effort, and a small group of folks already signed up as WG members. Does this work interest you?  Read the draft charter and other key details, and add your name if want to be involved. We expect to accomplish our goals in just a few months. PLEASE JOIN US!

Wishing everyone a cozy, relaxing, and delicious time over the upcoming (American) Thanksgiving holiday weekend,

Hannah
Hannah Frost Assistant Director for Digital Services
Stanford Libraries | Digital Library Systems and Services
Lathrop Library 384
Pronouns: she/her