Meaning of a phrase from the Gita

padmanabhan srinagesh

Mar 27, 2023, 1:54:38 PM3/27/23
to samskrita
In 10:36, Lord Krishna says: "dyuutam chalayataam asmi."

I know what the individual words mean.  "Gambling of all cheats I am."  I cannot figure out the deeper message behind these words.  I have not found helpful commentary on the Web.

I would greatly appreciate any help (including links) in understanding these words and the message they are intended to convey.

Many thanks!

Nagesh

polis...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2023, 6:09:10 AM3/28/23
to samskrita

Please check whether the explanation given here helps you ...

https://archive.org/details/gNJL_bhagavad-gita-tattva-vivechani-gita-press-gorakhpur/page/515/

Regards
P V S Kumar

KN.Ramesh

Mar 28, 2023, 6:09:33 AM3/28/23
to samskrita
https://www.gitasupersite.iitk.ac.in/srimad?language=dv&field_chapter_value=10&field_nsutra_value=36&scang=1&scram=1&scanand=1&scjaya=1&scmad=1&scval=1&scms=1&scsri=1&ecsiva=1&setgb=1&choose=1

Sanskrit Commentary By Sri Sridhara Swami

।।10.36।। द्यूतमिति। छलयतामन्योन्यवञ्चनपराणां संबन्धि द्यूतमस्मि। तेजस्विनां प्रभावतां तेजः प्रभावोऽस्मि। जेतृ़णां जयोऽस्मि। व्यवसायिनामुद्यमवतां व्यवसाय उद्यमोऽस्मि। सत्त्ववतां सात्त्विकानां सत्त्वमहम्।

English Commentary By Swami Sivananda

10.36 द्यूतम् the gambling? छलयताम् of the fraudulent? अस्मि (I) am? तेजः splendour? तेजस्विनाम् of the splendid? अहम् I? जयः victory? अस्मि (I) am? व्यवसायः determination? अस्मि (I) am? सत्त्वम् the goodness? सत्त्ववताम् of the good? अहम् I.Commentary Of the methods of defrauding others I am gambling such as diceplay. Gambling is My manifestation. I am the power of the powerful. I am the victoyr of the victorious. I am the effort of those who make that effort.I am Sattva which assumes the forms of Dharma (virtue)? Jnana (knowledge)? Vairagya (dispassion)? and Aisvarya (wealth or lordship) in Sattvic persons.

English Translation Of Sri Shankaracharya's Sanskrit Commentary By Swami Gambirananda

10.36 Chalayatam, of the fraudulent, of the deceitful; I am the dyutam, gambling, such as playing with dice. I am the tejah, irresistible ?nd; tejasvinam, of the mighty. [Some translate this as 'the splendour of the splendid'.-Tr.] I am the jayah, excellence of the excellent. [Some translate this as 'the victory of the victorious'.-Tr.] I am the vyavasayah, effort of the persevering. I am the sattvam, sattva ality; [The result of sattva, viz virtue, knowledge, detachment, etc.] sattvavatam, of those possessed of sattva.

padmanabhan srinagesh

Mar 28, 2023, 6:17:41 PM3/28/23
to samskrita

Many thanks to both of you for taking the time and trouble to provide these sources.  The statement that most resonates with me is: "Gambling is my manifestation."  Nobody knows for sure what the outcome of their actions will be - every action we take is a wager made in expectation or hope of some specific outcome, but with no guarantees.  This is fundamental to the Lord's manifested universe.  That is, gambling is not a game, it is the reality of every living moment in our lives, and it is so by the Lord's design.

In this respect, the phrase in question reminds me of the well-known sloka karmanyevaadhikaraste ma phaleshu kadachana.

Again, many thanks.

Nagesh