Form of past participle of the causative

Harry Spier

Feb 19, 2023, 10:08:18 PM2/19/23
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear list members,
Firstly apologies for using western grammatical terms but I'm not familiar with the paninian terms.

All the examples of the past participle of the causative in Speyer's Sanskrit Syntax (section 360 on page 281) are of the form ita added to the causatively strengthened root.
I.eभेदित प्रभोदित ज्ञनित पातित

To form the past participle of the causative Is it always ita that is added to the causatively strengthened root and never ta or na .

Thanks,
Harry Spier

Mohan Chettoor

Feb 20, 2023, 4:43:20 AM2/20/23
to sams...@googlegroups.com
The roots are mainly divided into 10 different 'Tenses and Moods'. They are sub-divided into two: a) Conjugational Tenses and Moods and b) Non- Conjugational Tenses and Moods. In the case of  Non- Conjugational Tenses and Moods, the augment 'इ' is prefixed. This addition of the letter 'इ' is called 'इट्' in grammatical terms.
Those roots
(1) with  'इट्' are called 'सेट्' (स+ इट्- i.e. with 'इ')roots with plural सेटः,  eg: रच्- रचित, भू - भविता, अर्च् - अर्चिता etc.
(2)  those roots without  'इट्' are called 'अनिट्' (अन्+इट्- i.e. without 'इ') roots   with plural अनिटः,   e.g. कृ- कृता, गम्- गत, लभू- लब्धा etc.and
(3) those roots with  'इट्'  optionally are called 'वेट्' ( वा+ इट्) with plural  'वेटः' e.g. स्यन्द्- स्यन्दिता, स्यन्ता.

The examples quoted in your letter, i.e. भेदित प्रभोदित ज्ञनित पातित it seems, falls under item (1)above. I have not checked whether they are वेटः or not. .
In Sanskrit grammar, such words are known as 'क्त' प्रत्ययs. The augment 'इ' comes after the root. It is available in all the three genders.

Mohan Chettoor

Vishvas Vasuki (Vishvas)

Feb 20, 2023, 6:32:35 AM2/20/23
to samskrita
प्रभोदित

इत्यत्र प्रबोधित इति लिलेखिषितम्?

Harry Spier

Feb 20, 2023, 9:38:48 AM2/20/23
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thank you to Vishvas and Mohan,
Vishvas is correct my examples should have been

भेदित प्रबोधित ज्ञनित पातित

My question was not so much what the paninian terms for this form (past participle of the causative) but when you make the past participle of the causative Is it always ita that is added to the causatively strengthened root and never ta or na .

Speyers note to section 360 says that he thinks na is never used but he doesn't say whether ta is ever used. Thats what I'm trying to find out.

Thanks,

Harry Spier