Course on Sankhya and Advaita Vedanta Philosophy

Paras Mehta

Jul 15, 2022, 8:39:56 AM7/15/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
Namaste,

I wish to inform you about a course that I plan to start.
It is a course on the basics of Sankhya philosophy and quite an in-depth understanding of Advaita Vedanta philosophy.
The topics are as follows:

Basics of Sankhya Philosophy
General Introduction to Sankhya Philosophy
Purusha and Prakrti in Sankhya "
Cosmic Creation in Sankhya "
"Effect in Cause" principle in Sankhya

Means of Knowing acc. to Advaita Vedanta
Pratyaksa Knowledge
Means (Pramana) of Pratyaksa knowledge
Types of Pratyaksa Pramana
Anumana and Upamana Pramanas
Shabda Pramana
Arthapatti and Anupalabdhi Pramana

Adhyasa (Superimposition) in Advaita Vedanta
Brahman
Maya
Characteristics of Adhyasa
Cause of Adhyasa
Cosmic Creation
Cosmic Destruction

Other Topics in Advaita Vedanta
Three conditions of the jiva
The Five Coverings (Kosha) of the jiva
Meaning of the Four Great Statements (Maha-vakyas) of the Upanisads
Understanding the Maha-vakyas
Means to attain Mukti (Liberation)
Samadhi
Constituents of Samadhi and Obstacles in achieving it
Mukti

This course is based on the syllabus of the two-part book "Bharatiya Darshan", a class 12 book of the National Institute of Open Learning (NIOS). Although the syllabus is for class 12 students of NIOS, it is at par with the syllabus of postgraduate students at many other places.
I am planning to have the classes twice a week. I have not yet decided on the days and timing.
In my estimation, the course will take 95 to 100 classes of one hour each to be completed.
The fees for the course will be decided once we have a group of genuinely interested students.

Kindly let me know if you are interested in this course.
My Email: psmeh...@gmail.com
My Phone and WhatsApp: +91 7045083765
My LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/paras-mehta-a98200154/

Thank you for your kind attention.
Pranamas.

Best regards,
Paras Mehta
PhD Research Scholar in Gaudiya Vedanta
M.A. Sanskrit

Sudhir Agarwal

Jul 15, 2022, 10:55:41 AM7/15/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.
Medium of instruction?
The book is in Sanskrit.

One should be able to read, write and understand Sanskrit to enrol for your course?

Sudhir

Paras Mehta

Jul 15, 2022, 12:44:27 PM7/15/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste

Yes, the book is in Sanskrit, but the medium of instruction in the course will be English.
I will explain the things from that Sanskrit book in English. Thus, knowledge of Sanskrit is not required, but it will be an advantage if you know Sanskrit.

Best wishes,
Paras Mehta

S Venkatraman

Jul 15, 2022, 2:29:35 PM7/15/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Is the book available for purchase? Thanks.

Venkatraman

Sent from my iPhone

Paras Mehta

Jul 15, 2022, 9:59:28 PM7/15/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
The book is available for download on the NIOS website.

Best wishes,
Paras Mehta

Sudhir Agarwal

Jul 15, 2022, 10:55:07 PM7/15/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com

S Venkatraman

Jul 16, 2022, 4:09:26 PM7/16/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thank a lot for this information Mehtaji. I like to read books in print. Is a print copy of the Sanskrit edition of the book available?

Thank you,
Venkat.

Sent from my iPhone

Paras Mehta

Jul 18, 2022, 7:18:01 AM7/18/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,
I have no idea of a printed edition of the book.

Regards

Paras Mehta

Jul 25, 2022, 8:19:23 AM7/25/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Course on Sankhya and Advaita Vedanta Philosophy

The topics are as follows:
Basics of Sankhya Philosophy
Means of Knowing acc. to Advaita Vedanta
Adhyasa (Superimposition) in Advaita Vedanta
Other Topics in Advaita Vedanta

This course is based on the syllabus of the two-part Sanskrit book "Bharatiya Darshan", a class 12 book of the National Institute of Open Learning (NIOS). Although the syllabus is for class 12 students of NIOS, it is at par with the syllabus of postgraduate students at many other places.

Medium of Instruction: English
Duration: 95 to 100 classes of one hour each
Timings: Every Monday and Friday, 7 PM to 8 PM IST
Course Begins: 1st August, 7 PM IST
Fees: Rs. 1,500/- per month

Course Teacher:
Paras Mehta
PhD Research Scholar in Gaudiya Vedanta
Research Associate at EFEO
Research Assistant at University of Alberta
LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/paras-mehta-a98200154/

For expressing your interest in this course, kindly contact Paras Mehta at:
Email: psmeh...@gmail.com

Phone and WhatsApp: +91 7045083765