Metre and yati of this verse

Suprit S Jahagirdar

Jul 29, 2022, 1:03:34 PM7/29/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear vidvaj-janas, my praṇāms.

इयममरदत्तवररुचिभागुरिवोपालितादिशास्त्रेभ्य:।
अभिधानरत्नमाला कविकण्ठविभूषणार्थमुद्ध्रियते।।

This is the 2nd verse of abhidhāna-ratnamālā (Halāyudha koṣa)

Could anyone kindly help me with it's metre and it's yati (virāma).

It would also be greatly helpful if one could tell about the general rules in identifying yati for āryā and it's varities, so that I could find it on my own next time.

Thankyou in advance
Suprit.

Vasu Srinivasan

Jul 29, 2022, 1:06:22 PM7/29/22
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
namaste Suprit-ji,

you can use this link https://sanskritmetres.appspot.com/identify to identify metres for verses.

Regards,
Vasu Srinivasan

Shreevatsa R

Jul 29, 2022, 7:09:35 PM7/29/22
to samskrita
I'd like to highlight this on the website too at some point, but for now: the most useful thing I've found is to notice groups of 4 mātrās.

In this case:

इयममरदत्तवररुचिभागुरिवोपालितादिशास्त्रेभ्य:।
अभिधानरत्नमाला कविकण्ठविभूषणार्थमुद्ध्रियते।।

This is in gīti metre (this much the website says) whose definition is that it is 12–18–12–18, where each 12 is 4+4+4 (specifically: 22 4 22) and each 18 is 4+4+4+4+2 (specifically: 4 22 121 22 2). [The "121" means either L–LLL with a word starting after the first L, or else LGL).

iyamama–radatta–vararuci– (12=4+4+4)
bhāguri–vopā–litādi–śāstre–bhyaḥ | (18=4+4+4+4+2)
abhidhā–naratna–mālā (12=4+4+2)
kavikaṇ–ṭhavibhū–ṣaṇārtha–muddhriya–te || (18 = 4+4+4+4+2)

इयमम–रदत्त–वररुचि– (12)
भागुरि–वोपा–लितादि–शास्त्रे–भ्यः । (18)
अभिधा–नरत्न–माला (12)
कविकण्–ठविभू–षणार्थ–मुद्ध्रिय–ते ॥ (18)

None of the –s above is actually a yati in the sense in which it is used for (varṇa)vṛtta-s, just marked to highlight the groups of 4 mātrās.

Harry Spier

Jul 29, 2022, 7:27:11 PM7/29/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
See also the appendix at the back of Apte's Practical Sanskrit Dictionary.
The later expanded version of the dictionary has also expanded this appendix on metre.
Harry Spier

Suprit S Jahagirdar

Jul 29, 2022, 10:46:43 PM7/29/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thankyou very much, Shreevatsa-ji, Harry Spier-ji, Vasu Srinivasan-ji,  for the valuable inputs.