Is there an online index of all Sanskrit literature?

Arun

Aug 26, 2021, 8:18:13 PM8/26/21
to samskrita
Dear list members,

I am aware of online collections of Sanskrit texts that are available through sites like GRETIL and sanskritdocuments.org. But I am not aware of any comprehensive index of Sanskrit texts, and I am curious if one is available.

By "comprehensive index" I mean two things:

1. A list of all Sanskrit works. The number of Sanskrit texts is always growing, but for the sake of having a clear scope, I am interested in all texts created before the colonial period.

2. Links to these works, whether through machine readable text files, PDFs of scanned books, or publishers and sellers that provide books in hard copy.

So in essence, I would like a virtual card catalog that (1) lets the reader know what is available to read and (2) lets them easily access what they want to read. Such a thing is useful not only on its own terms but also for potential longer-term efforts.

As a motivating example: suppose someone wants to read the Tattvadīpikā commentary on the Rāmāyaṇam. What is the easiest way for her to do so?

Vishvas Vasuki has suggested two indices he has, one as a GitHub repository of machine-readable text and one as a Google Sheet. But I would like to see this effort pushed much further, so that it is truly comprehensive in scope.

Is such an index available?

Arun Prasad

ken p

Sep 3, 2021, 12:12:27 PM9/3/21
to samskrita

Arun

Sep 6, 2021, 2:29:19 PM9/6/21
to samskrita
Thanks. I also reached out to the authors of the SARIT project and was pointed to these two links:

- PanditProject.org (database of Sanskrit manuscripts, sometimes with archive.org links. I'm not sure how comprehensive it is.)
- NCC (New Catalogus Catalogorum, from the University of Madras. An exhaustive list, but with few links to actual texts.)

Arun