Introductory sanskrit books, completely in sanskrit language

Suprit S Jahagirdar

Aug 1, 2022, 6:34:37 AM8/1/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear vidvaj-janas, my praṇāms

I am a beginner on this path of learning sanskrit (not so much of a  beginner that I know nothing, I can understand and write sentences and know perfect sandhi) but I wanted to get more deep into grammar... So is there any 1 book (available online) that provides sufficient introduction to all the grammatical concepts (so that on the next step we can go onto learn laghu siddhanta kaumudi etc) like how samskrta bharati's individual books on sandhi, samasa, karaka etc put together or probably the english book devavanipravesika alone provides..... That too being in sanskrit completely.

(I think devavanipravesika etc and the books whose example I gave above alone is not sufficient for starting LSK, but I just gave them as an example)

Sorry if my question confused you.
Thankyou in advance
Suprit.

karthik holla

Aug 1, 2022, 10:41:41 PM8/1/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Instead of laghu Siddhanta kaumudi you can read laghu paniniyam or 'tested easiest method of learning and teaching Sanskrit' by brahmadatta jijnasu you will get a clear idea how the sutras work.

Suprit S Jahagirdar

Aug 2, 2022, 12:39:53 AM8/2/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for the advice!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "samskrita" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/samskrita/CAD4O7mh%2Bq_J5XKuMxFdBEGJNoYg%2B5caWx0PVOkeMUV%2BoKXDoBQ%40mail.gmail.com.

karthik holla

Aug 2, 2022, 6:54:40 AM8/2/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
You can also try first book of Sanskrit by rg bhandarkar.

grajulu

Aug 2, 2022, 6:54:52 AM8/2/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I am on

"Ashtadhyayi sahaj bodh " course.

There are 6 books authored by Dr.Pushpa dixit (Bilaspur). The language is Hindi.
Books are published by Pratibha Prakashan ,Delhi

She is running a gurukul in the name :
PANINIYA SHODH SAMSTHAN.
YOU CAN SEE HER VIDEOS ON youtube ALSO.
She is teaching on Zoom also.
I am on Zoom only.
Wishing the best......

Forwarded

N.Govindarajulu

S Venkatraman

Aug 2, 2022, 8:29:08 AM8/2/22
to grajulu, sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,

Could you please let me know how I can join Pushpa Dikshit’s Zoom classes? Thank you.

Venkatraman

Sent from my iPhone

Bandaru Viswanath

Aug 2, 2022, 4:19:30 PM8/2/22
to samskrita, grajulu
Sri Suprit,

The path really depends on how  deep you want to reach in Vyakarana.

- If you prefer to learn vyakarana to be able to appreciate Sahitya texts, or other darshana texts, then you should be good with LSK. You would need some understanding of Tarka/Nyaya for the Darshana texts.
- If you prefer to completely learn the vyakarana, to be able to find/form the correct forms, then you can follow the prachina method (ashtadhyayi way) or naveena method (kaumudi way). In both cases you would need to study MB afterwards.
- If you want to master vyakarana - I mean, why is the sutra only this way and not in any other way, the 'arthica' discussions etc - then you need to study both the texts in prachina and the naveena methods, besides others. Only then (both texts) you will be able to appreciate the vyakarana to the fullest, IMHO. You would need some understanding of Tarka/Nyaya for the advanced texts.

For the introductory books completely in Sanskrit, Have you looked at Sanskrit promotion foundation's books ?

Thanks
Viswanath

Suprit S Jahagirdar

Aug 3, 2022, 1:19:01 AM8/3/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thankyou very much viswanath ji for the detailed answer, it's very helpful to decide now... And I will check the sanskrit promotion foundation books as well, But one thing I couldn't understand was the full form of IMHO? What is it's full form?

Suprit

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "samskrita" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/samskrita/CAMciO%3DfJzmQi3bRUXhxeidsSaU6pjYSG0HvmaQNsbRdoy3ODHA%40mail.gmail.com.

अभ्यंकरकुलोत्पन्नः श्रीपादः | श्रीपतेः पदयुगं स्मरणीयम् ।

Aug 3, 2022, 1:24:16 AM8/3/22
to samskrita
You may also like my YouTube videos at my channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHnw6UVN1Q6wLgEsbuyuMVA
I guess videos are better because they activate two faculties - viewing and listening.

Bandaru Viswanath

Aug 3, 2022, 8:24:50 AM8/3/22
to samskrita
IMHO == In My Humble Opinion :)

Agni

Aug 3, 2022, 8:24:56 AM8/3/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Hi Suprit,

Pushpa Dixit method is the best !

P S Ramachandran

Aug 3, 2022, 12:26:32 PM8/3/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
 worldsanskrit.net.

The whole website is in Sanskrit. Thru Astadyayi directly , not thru kaumudi and all.  Pushpadixit method.

karthik holla

Aug 4, 2022, 12:03:13 PM8/4/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Yes ramachandran mahodaya it is a good website to learn Panini Sutra through pushpa Dixit method. We have to translate all these to our native languages from English so everyone can benefit. And I feel Sanskrit content in Tamil, kannada, telugu should increase for the sake of everyone.

Suprit S Jahagirdar

Aug 4, 2022, 2:46:02 PM8/4/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thankyou very much everyone who answered for their valuable advice, I will surely take all suggestions into consideration and choose (as to which one I will study).

Suprit.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "samskrita" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/samskrita/CAD4O7midQVjEtHHCXTZcDid1QjjCEhpwn1C5KE3GGNXLerxPeA%40mail.gmail.com.

kenp

Aug 4, 2022, 11:47:13 PM8/4/22
to samskrita

सीताराम

Aug 9, 2022, 10:20:59 PM8/9/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dr. Dikshit's new series on youTube could be helpful as well

धन्यवाद: - राम

Mamta Pandey

Aug 10, 2022, 12:41:02 AM8/10/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaskar,

I want to learn the Sanskrit language, but as a beginner, how should I start? Pl anyone provides me with your valuable guidance.

--
Dr. Mamta Pandey
Research Mentor & Associate Professor

Srikanth Venkatesh

Aug 10, 2022, 7:44:01 AM8/10/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Samskrita Bharati's pravesha is the best place to start. It's a self study course with exams twice a year. You can check out the Samskrita Bharati website for details on registering and getting the books.

Mamta Pandey

Aug 10, 2022, 8:07:15 AM8/10/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot, can u pl suggest to me some links so that I can start basic learning of Sanskrit?

Anil Kumar Pandey

Aug 10, 2022, 6:34:43 PM8/10/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com

--
Thank you,

Anil Kumar Pandey

Pratima Javalekar Arora

Aug 10, 2022, 11:16:03 PM8/10/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Vyoma has excellent courses. I stared with prathama and now completed dwitiya. They start right from varnmala and very detailed meticulous teachers.

Sanskritfromhome.org

Regards,
Pratima

Mamta Pandey

Aug 11, 2022, 7:07:54 AM8/11/22
to samskrita
Thanks a lot  to everyone.

P S Ramachandran

Aug 13, 2022, 8:43:16 AM8/13/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Go to vyoma. Sanskrit from home. Join the Sura Saraswati sabha prathama. Completed videos, ppts etc are available.

Similarly Samskrita Sri  I and II.

Subscribe and learn. Free courses. From varnamala (letters)

Vijay Sankara narayanan

Aug 13, 2022, 11:17:16 PM8/13/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
धन्यवादः ॥

--
Thanks and regards.
Vijay R.S.

Raj Kombiyil

Aug 14, 2022, 8:19:44 AM8/14/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Pl support Vyoma too. Afterall, they make all the course contents available for free. Their paid courses are also very cheap. Enjoy learning.
DISCLAIMER: I don't represent Vyoma and neither am I associated with Vyoma in any other way, except using their resources for learning. High quality content!

Anunad Singh

Aug 14, 2022, 1:50:29 PM8/14/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to list 20 concepts/topics which one should master, in sequence of  increasing ease of learning (and decreasing importance), to achieve a reasonable command on sanskrit?

P S Ramachandran

Aug 14, 2022, 3:43:02 PM8/14/22
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Yes. That is understood without saying.

Manish Modi

Aug 16, 2022, 8:15:51 PM8/16/22
to samskrita

Good News for Sanskrit Lovers!

http://www.navelgazing.net/2014/08/good-news-for-sanskrit-lovers.html

As a lover of dharma, sanskriti, bhasha and sahitya, I am always enthused by fresh approaches and new books for learning/teaching Sanskrit. This is my pick of books for learning Sanskrit:

Learn Sanskrit through Hindi/English

संस्कृत स्वाध्यायः

SANSKRIT SVADHYAYA

Teach Yourself Sanskrit

By Dr Vempati Kutumbashastri

2021   24 x 18 cm  4249 pages   Paperback   9 kilos

Set of 14 books

₹ 2260

Notes

Perfect for those who wish to study Sanskrit on their own

Best organised set of books for learning Sanskrit that I have come across

Levels 3 and 4 are  completely in Sanskrit

_____

Learn Sanskrit through English

1.  देववाणीप्रवेशिका

DEVAVANIPRAVESHIKA

An Introduction to the Sanskrit Language

By Robert P Goldman & Sally J Sutherland Goldman

2011     22 x 14 cm     539 pages     Paperback    1 kilo

₹ 595

Notes

Perfect for those who wish to learn Sanskrit through English

_____

2.  INTRODUCTION TO SANSKRIT

By Thomas Egenes

Revised International Edition

2021    24 x 18 cm    823 pages    Paperback    1.6 kilos

Set of 2 books

₹ 1450

Notes

Ideal for those who wish to learn Sanskrit through English

_____

3. SANSKRIT IS FUN

Edited by Warwick Jessup & Elena Jessup

Foreword by Prof Satya Vrat Shastri

Preface by Prof Richard Gombrich

2012     30 x 21 cm     1481 pages     Paperback     4.5 kilos

Set of 10 books

₹ 2550

Notes

Suitable for those who wish to learn Sanskrit through English

_____

4. LEARN SANSKRIT THROUGH YOUR FAVOURITE PRAYERS

By Rohini Bakshi & Narayanan Namboodiri

Stotra-Ranjani Foreword by Bibek Debroy

2016     24 x 16 cm     507 pages     Hardcover     1 kilo

₹ 799

Notes

Ideal method for teaching a language
Excellent translation and explanation

Superb print quality

Perfect for the devotee as well as the student of Sanskrit who wishes to learn through English

_____

Learn Sanskrit through Hindi

1.  संस्कृत स्वयं-शिक्षक

SANSKRIT SVAYAM-SHIKSHAK

By Shripad Damodar Satavalekar

2020     18 x 12 cm     368 pages     Paperback     0.4 kilos

₹ 185

Notes

Useful for those who wish to learn Sanskrit through Hindi

_____

2.  संस्कृत शिक्षा

SANSKRIT SHIKSHA

By Padmashri Dr Kapildev Dvivedi

2016    20 x 16 cm    312 pages    Paperback

Set of 5 books

₹ 200

Notes

Useful for beginner level students who wish to learn Sanskrit through Hindi

_____

3.  प्रारम्भिक रचननुवादकौमुदी

PRARAMBHIKA RACANANUVADA-KAUMUDI

By Padmashri Dr Kapildev Dvivedi

2021    18 x 12 cm     152 pages    Paperback

₹ 55

Notes

Useful for beginner level students who wish to learn Sanskrit through Hindi

_____

4.  रचननुवादकौमुदी

RACANANUVADA-KAUMUDI

By Padmashri Dr Kapildev Dvivedi

2021    22 x 14 cm     280 pages    Paperback

₹ 110

Notes

Perfect for intermediate level students of Sanskrit learning through Hindi

_____

5.  प्रौढ रचननुवादकौमुदी

PRAUDHA RACANANUVADA-KAUMUDI

By Padmashri Dr Kapildev Dvivedi

2018    22 x 14 cm     440 pages    Paperback

₹ 230

Notes

Perfect for advanced level students of Sanskrit

_____

6.  लघुसिद्धान्तकौमुदी

LAGHU-SIDDHANTA-KAUMUDI

By Shridharananda Shastri

Edited by Mahamahopadhyaya Parameshvarananda Shastri

2015    18 x 12 cm     Paperback    1084 pages

₹ 245

Notes

Ideal for intermediate level students of Sanskrit learning through Hindi

_____

7. संस्कृत व्याकरण एवं लघुसिद्धान्तकौमुदी

SANSKRIT VYAKARANA EVAM LAGHU-SIDDHANTA-KAUMUDI

By Padmashri Dr Kapildev Dvivedi

2020    22 x 14 cm    454 pages    Paperback

₹ 275

Notes

Perfect for intermediate level students of Sanskrit learning through Hindi
_____

8. ​सुभद्रा सुगम संस्कृत ​व्याकरण

SUBHADRA SUGAM SANSKRIT VYAKARANA

By Dr Kusumlata Taylor & Dr Anubhuti Chauhan

2016     22 x 14 cm     272 pages    Hardcover    0.5 kilos

₹ 400

Notes

Ideal for intermediate level students of Sanskrit learning through Hindi

_____

9. ​नयी दीप मणिका पाठ्यपुस्तकम्

NAYI DIP MANIKA PATHYAPUSTAKAM (Textbook)

By Saroj Kushal, Sharada Manocha & Nirmal Dalal

2017     27 x 21 cm     544 pages    Paperback    1.25 kilos

Set of 4 books

₹ 930

सरस्वती मणिका संस्कृत व्याकरण

SARASVATI MANIKA SANSKRIT VYAKARANA (Workbook)

By Sunita Sachdev

2020     24 x 18 cm     588 pages    Paperback    1 kilo

Set of 4 books

₹ 935

Notes

Excellent set of textbooks and workbooks for beginners learning Sanskrit through Hindi

_____

Teaches the correct Forms and Roots of Sanskrit Words

रूपचन्द्रिका

RUPA-CANDRIKA

Ed. Dr Sukhram

2019    13 x 9 cm     767 pages    Hardcover    1.25 kilos

₹ 135

Notes

Invaluable for all students of Sanskrit

_____

Sanskrit Essays

संस्कृत निबन्ध शतकम्
SANSKRIT NIBANDHA SHATAKAM

110 Intermediate and Graduate Level Essays in Sanskrit

By Padmashri Dr Kapildev Dvivedi

2015    22 x 14 cm     348 pages    Paperback

₹ 120

Notes

Perfect for intermediate and graduate students of Sanskrit

_____

Great Sanskrit Dictionaries

Sanskrit-Hindi Dictionaries

1. संस्कृत - हिन्दी कोश

SANSKRIT - HINDI KOSH

Sanskrit - Hindi Dictionary

By Vaman Shivram Apte

First published in 1966, 12th reprint 2015

2015    18 x 14 cm     1362 pages    Hardcover     1.2 kilos

₹ 345

Notes

Seminal work

A Hindi translation of VS Apte’s ‘Student’s Sanskrit - Hindi Dictionary’

Has approximately 70,000 words

Poor print quality

_____

2. संस्कृत शब्दार्थ कोशः

SANSKRIT SHABDARTHA KOSH

Sanskrit - Hindi Dictionary

By Ishvar Chandra

2021    25 x 19 cm     1029 pages     Hardcover    1.8 kilos

₹ 525

Notes

The best and most updated Sanskrit - Hindi Dictionary available today

Excellent print and paper quality

_____

3. संस्कृत - हिन्दी कोश

SANSKRIT - HINDI KOSH

Sanskrit - Hindi Dictionary

By Vaman Shivram Apte

2016    22 x 14 cm     359 pages     Paperback   0.5 kilos

₹ 150

Notes

Abridged version of VS Apte’s original Sanskrit - Hindi Kosh

Words of Vedic origin have been omitted to make it concise for school students

Good print quality

_____

4. छात्रोपयोगी संस्कृत - हिन्दी शब्दकोश

CHHATROPAYOGI SANSKRIT - HINDI SHABDAKOSH

Sanskrit - Hindi Dictionary

By Chandra Vijaya

2015    22 x 14 cm     448 pages     Hardcover   0.6 kilos

₹ 450

Notes

Fresh Sanskrit - Hindi Dictionary, meant for students of Sanskrit

Good print quality

_____

Hindi-Sanskrit Dictionary

हिन्दी - संस्कृत कोश

HINDI - SANSKRIT KOSH

Hindi - Sanskrit Dictionary

By Ram Saroop

2015    22 x 14 cm     792 pages    Paperback      1 kilo

₹ 400

Notes

Only Hindi - Sanskrit dictionary in existence

Splendidly researched

Poor print quality

_____

Sanskrit-English Dictionaries

1. THE PRACTICAL SANSKRIT - ENGLISH DICTIONARY

Containing Appendices on Sanskrit Prosody, Important Literary and Geographical Names of Ancient India

By Vaman Shivram Apte

Recomposed & Enlarged Edition

2022    28 x 22 cm     1276 pages     Hardcover     3 kilos

₹ 950

Notes

Excellent work

Ideal for students

Superb print quality

Attractively published

_____

THE STUDENT’S SANSKRIT - ENGLISH DICTIONARY

By Vaman Shivram Apte

2020   24 x 18 cm   968 pages   Paperback   1.5 kilos

₹ 650

Notes

The best and most updated Sanskrit - English Dictionary available

Excellent print quality
_____

2. A SANSKRIT - ENGLISH DICTIONARY

Etymologically and Philologically arranged with special reference to cognate Indo-European Languages

By  𝐌 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐞𝐫 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐦𝐬

Edited & revised by Pandit Ishvar Chandra

2021    28 x 22 cm     2988 pages    Hardcover      4.5 kilos

Set of 2 books

₹ 1650

Notes

Seminal work

Very good print quality

Attractively published

_____

3. THE PRACTICAL SANSKRIT - ENGLISH DICTIONARY
Containing Appendices on Sanskrit Prosody, Important Literary and Geographical Names of Ancient India

By Vaman Shivram Apte

Recomposed & Enlarged Edition
2022    28 x 22 cm     1276 pages     Hardcover     3 kilos

₹ 950

Notes

Excellent work

Ideal for students

Superb print quality
Attractively published

_____

4. A PRACTICAL SANSKRIT DICTIONARY

By Arthur Anthony MacDonell

2017    28 x 22 cm     382 pages     Hardcover     1.3 kilos

₹ 995

Notes

Seminal work

Average print quality

______

5. THE CONCISE SANSKRIT - ENGLISH DICTIONARY

By Vasudev Govind Apte

2014    18 x 12 cm     366 pages

₹ 445    Hardcover edition

₹ 245    Paperback edition

Notes

Meant for school-going students

Good print quality

_____

6. THE CONCISE SANSKRIT - ENGLISH DICTIONARY

By Vasudeo Govind Apte
2015    18 x 12 cm     430 pages     Paperback

₹ 225

Notes

Meant for school-going students

Good print quality

_____

7. SANSKRIT KEYS TO THE WISDOM RELIGION

By Judith Tyberg
2004    18 x 12 cm     164 pages     Paperback

₹ 185

Notes

Meant for those unfamiliar with India, Indian religions and Indian languages

Average print quality

_____

8. GLOSSARY OF SANSKRIT TERMS

And Key to Their Correct Pronunciation

By Geoffrey Barborka
2004    18 x 12 cm     78 pages     Paperback

₹ 90

Notes

Meant for those unfamiliar with India, Indian religions and Indian languages

Average print quality

English-Sanskrit Dictionaries

1. AN ENGLISH - SANSKRIT  DICTIONARY

By M Monier-Williams

2018    28 x 22 cm     1244 pages    Hardcover      3.5 kilos

Set of 2 books

₹ 1295

Notes

Seminal work

Good print quality

_____

2. THE CONCISE ENGLISH - SANSKRIT DICTIONARY

By Vasudeo Govind Apte
2015    18 x 12 cm     480 pages    Paperback

₹ 250

Notes

Meant for school-going students

Good print quality

_____

All these books are available at our bookstore and through mail order. We ship books all over the world.

Best regards,

Manish Yashodhar Modi

हिन्दी ग्रन्थ कार्यालय

१९१२ से राष्ट्र की सेवा में