चिन्तयति प्रक्रिया

Sridhar Boovaraghavan

Feb 24, 2023, 1:42:03 PM2/24/23
to samskrita
Hi,

I am trying to understand the prakriya for चिन्तयति and how it seems to be different from चोरयति. Specifically, I don't understand why the गुणाधेशः happens for चु  -> चो in चोरयति and not चि -> चे in चिन्तयति. Is the नुमागमः causing  the गुणनिषेधः? If not, what is preventing the गुणाधेशः

Thanks,
Sridhar

Chitra Ravi

Feb 26, 2023, 7:59:57 AM2/26/23
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste mahodaya

For all ganas
गुणः will take place
1)  If the last letter of the verb is इक् (इ, उ,ऋ,ऌ -  ह्रस्वः or दीर्घः)
(This rule is applicable for all ganas except 10th gana where वृद्धिः will happen if the last letter of the verb is स्वरः)
2)  If the penultimate letter is ह्रस्व इक् वर्णः

In चिन्त् धातुः penultimate letter is न् which is not ह्रस्व इक् वर्णः
However in चुर् धातुः, penultimate letter is ह्रस्व इक् वर्णः. Hence there is गुणादेशः

Regards
Chitra

Sridhar Boovaraghavan

Feb 27, 2023, 11:32:32 PM2/27/23