Another simple sanskrit question

Harry Spier

Feb 4, 2023, 9:12:26 PM2/4/23
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear list members,
A sanskrit primer has this example of using the instrumental to express the cause or reason.

दुःखेन ग्रामं त्यजामि "I abandon the village out of misery".

I.e. "I leave the village because I'm miserable there".

But can this sentence also be interpreted with the instrumental meaning "with".  I.e. as "I abandon the village with misery". meaning "I'm miserable I have to abandon the village".

Thanks,
Harry Spier

Harry Spier

Nagaraj Paturi

Feb 4, 2023, 10:40:11 PM2/4/23
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Usual vibhakti for causality is panchami.

दुःखात्‌ ग्रामं त्यजामि ।

You are right .

दुःखेन ग्रामं त्यजामि is what is usually used in sahaartha i.e., in the sense of 'with'

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Senior Director, IndicA
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS Kavikulaguru Kalidasa Sanskrit University, Ramtek, Maharashtra
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
BoS Rashtram School of Public Leadership
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Studies in Public Leadership
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Vishvas Vasuki (Vishvas)

Feb 6, 2023, 5:19:08 AM2/6/23
to samskrita
On Sunday, 5 February, 2023 at 9:10:11 am UTC+5:30 nagara...@gmail.com wrote:
Usual vibhakti for causality is panchami.

https://ashtadhyayi.github.io/suutra/2.3/2.3.23/ इत्यनेन पाणिनिना तु तृतीयैवात्रोक्ता।

https://ashtadhyayi.github.io/suutra/2.3/2.3.25/ इति पञ्चमी तन्मते क्वचिद् एव पञ्चमी।

"पर्वतो वह्निमान् धूमात्" इत्यादि प्रयोगान् समर्थयितुं योगविभागः क्रियते ऽर्वाचीनैः।

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Feb 6, 2023, 5:51:00 AM2/6/23
to sams...@googlegroups.com
अहो - पत्रयोर् विवेको ऽस्पष्ट इति पुनः प्रेष्यते।

Irene Galstian

Feb 20, 2023, 11:33:00 AM2/20/23
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thinking back at the usages I've personally come across, 3rd as hetu is more likely than 5th in many cases. Except for shastric arguments, where 5th is used to indicate hetu, including the standard formula 'because of x-ness of y'.

kenp

Feb 21, 2023, 10:19:16 AM2/21/23
to samskrita
Here is the Google translation.
दुःखेन ग्रामं त्यजामि. I leave the village in sorrow.

I abandon the village out of misery.
I abandon the village with misery.
I'm miserable I have to abandon the village.
अहं दुःखात् ग्रामं त्यजामि।
अहं दुःखेन ग्रामं त्यजामि।
अहं दुःखी अस्मि मया ग्रामः परित्यक्तव्यः।

karthik holla

Feb 21, 2023, 12:20:03 PM2/21/23
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Using भाववाचकशब्द like सन्तोषः, दुःखं, सुखं should be in तृतीया