Rare Nakshatra Purusha Vratam From Matsya Puranam

K.N.RAMESH

Apr 25, 2022, 3:14:29 AM4/25/22
Dear All,

Greetings and Namaste. After a couple of dreadful years that have been soaked in misery due to Covid pandemic, the Hindu New Year (Shubhakrit) is going to be born this Thursday (14-Apr-2022), as per solar calendar (Sauramana). At the outset, may I wish you, your family and friends, kith and kin a very happy and prosperous Hindu New Year! May Lord shower the best of best in every walk of your lives!

April 2022 is said to be astrologically very significant as every planet changes its sign during this month, a very very rare phenomenon as it is being told. The most beneficial and powerful planet Jupiter changes sign exactly when the New Year dawns. The next major planet Saturn also changes its sign on 29-Apr-2022. There are varying indications of so many transits within a short span of time - though the general indication seems to be on the scary side. But the silver lining is the general characteristic of the year Shubhakrit - which literally means "doer of auspicious things" - indications are that it should be auspicious. It is the will of Lord that make or mar the life of the universe and therefore we cannot but to beg Him for better days!

In this connection, I am delighted to share a very pertinent Vratam (penance) cum Stotra titled Nakshatra Purusha Vratam, taken from Sri Matsya Puranam and Chapter 54. I have given a gist of this chapter in the preface of the hymn.

Lord Narada requests Lord Rudra to give a penance (Vratam) through which devotees of Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva can attain health, wealth, long life, etc. Lord Shiva gives the details of the Vratam titled Nakshatra Purusha Vratam to seek the blessings of Lord Narayana. This Vrat should be observed when Chaitra month starts and specific names of Lord Narayana should be used to perform Puja to Lord Narayana on specific parts of His Divine Body when specific Nakshatra is in vogue. For the sake of simplicity, I have given all the names at the end as Namavali so that one could use these for Archana during prayers, regardless of the Nakshatra in vogue (and tallies to 32 names or dvAtrimshat)

May We Pray To Lord Narayana With this exquisite Namavali when the new year dawns and every day therafter!

With best regards & Pranams,
K. Muralidharan Iyengar (Murali)