Doubt about verse in Hitopadesa

Harry Spier

May 18, 2024, 8:06:04 PMMay 18
to sams...@googlegroups.com
There is this verse in the Hitopadesa

अस्ति गोदावरीतीरे विशालः शाल्मलीतरुः |

नानादिग्देशादागत्य रात्रौ पक्षिणो निवसन्ति |

Why singular देशात् and not plural देशेभ्यः?

Isn't the meaning of the second half of the verse "Birds after coming from different places in different directions settled down in the night" I.e. plural.

Thanks,

Harry Spier

Harry Spier

May 18, 2024, 8:37:19 PMMay 18
to sams...@googlegroups.com
There is this verse in the Hitopadesa

अस्ति गोदावरीतीरे विशालः शाल्मलीतरुः |

तत्र नानादिग्देशादागत्य रात्रौ पक्षिणो निवसन्ति |

Why singular देशात् and not plural देशेभ्यः?

Isn't the meaning of the second half of the verse "There, birds after coming from different places in different directions settled down in the night" I.e. plural.

Thanks,

Harry Spier

G S S Murthy

May 19, 2024, 1:09:17 AMMay 19
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Where is the verse?  अस्ति गोदावरीतीरे विशालः शाल्मलीतरुः | is half of a verse.
नानादिग्देशादागत्य रात्रौ पक्षिणो निवसन्ति | is just prose.
Thanks and regards,
Murthy

Harry Spier

May 19, 2024, 9:35:20 AMMay 19
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear Murthy,
I expressed myself a little loosely.  You are correct it is prose.  I meant to ask why in the second line of those two prose lines

अस्ति गोदावरीतीरे विशालः शाल्मलीतरुः |

नानादिग्देशादागत्य रात्रौ पक्षिणो निवसन्ति |

Why singular देशात् and not plural देशेभ्यः?

Isn't the meaning of the second line "Birds after coming from different places in different directions settled down in the night" I.e. plural.

Thanks,
Harry Spier

G S S Murthy

May 19, 2024, 11:38:41 AMMay 19
to sams...@googlegroups.com
The author perhaps felt that "naanaa" conveys plurality or "naanaadesha" could be treated as "samaahaara-dvandva".
Murthy

Ecneics

May 19, 2024, 11:53:39 AMMay 19
to sams...@googlegroups.com
This is very much like using प्रजा to mean the subjects instead of it's plural form प्रजाः or सर्वः instead of its plural form सर्वे. प्रजा in itself carries the meaning of a large group of people under the rule of a King. नानादेशः is the same.

Ajit Krishnan

May 19, 2024, 2:06:54 PMMay 19
to sams...@googlegroups.com

The Ramayana (approx 1.14.16) has a similar progayoga -- नानादेशात् which is glossed by the tilaka as अनेकविधदेशात्.

Harry Spier

May 19, 2024, 3:18:41 PMMay 19
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thank you to everyone, and especially to Ajit Krishnan for the Ramayana reference.
Harry Spier