Seeking Subject Matter Experts: Seasonal and migrant farmworkers, behavioral health risks they face due to extreme heat and wildfire smoke

SAMHSA DTAC DBH

Apr 12, 2024, 11:28:40 AMApr 12
to SAMHSA DTAC DBH

Greetings community members,

We are working on an edition of our quarterly newsletter, The Dialogue, about rural disaster behavioral health, we are planning to develop an article about seasonal and migrant farmworkers and behavioral health risks they face due to extreme heat and wildfire smoke.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Javier Becerra has asked SAMHSA to produce and promote resources to educate farmworkers about these concerns and steps they can take to reduce and manage their risks.

We are  reaching out to this group to inquire whether any members have expertise in this field, or could refer us to someone in their network who could serve as a subject matter expert.  Because this article would be in The Dialogue, which is written for the disaster behavioral health field, it would ideally focus on explaining the behavioral health risks migrant farmworkers face in extreme heat and wildfires and ways professionals can help address these issues in disaster planning and preparedness, response, and recovery efforts.

Please reach out to SAMHSA DTAC if you are interested in participating, or if you have a contact to share: 1-800-308-3515 or via e-mail at dt...@iqsolutions.com

If you have resources to share on this topic, please reply to the thread.

Thanks!

The SAMHSA DTAC Team