The Price of Sugar

charing ball

Oct 5, 2009, 9:53:04 AM10/5/09

The Flickering Light Film Screening Series
Flickering Light Logo
Join us this Saturday October 10th for The Price of Sugar, narrated by Paul Newman, which tells the story of modern day sugar cane plantations and the workers' attempts to organize for better conditions--a film we were bullied by the plantation's American legal firm to not show! Come see what they don't want you to know.

Details.
7137 Germantown Ave. $5 admission. Locally made concessions by the Kimz. Come early and have a dinner with one of our sponsors in the 'hood, Earth Bread & Brewery and Geeche Girl Rice Cafe,  or some ice cream at Scoop.

What else ya got?
This week's films not your thing? Check out the rest of our line up at www.flickeringfilms.com.

Next week we're excited to bring California's Queer Women of Color Media Arts Project to northwest Philadelphia for a program of short films called Electrifying Escapades!
The Price of Sugar
Co-hosted with Charing Ball of People, Places & Things on G'town Radio
Saturday October 10, 2009
7pm
View a trailer online at
:
 www.flickeringfilms.com

The Price of SugarIn the Dominican Republic, a tropical island-nation, tourists flock to pristine beaches unaware that a few miles away thousands of dispossessed Haitians have toiled under armed-guard on plantations harvesting sugarcane, much of which ends up in U.S. kitchens. They work grueling hours and frequently lack decent housing, clean water, electricity, education or healthcare.

Narrated by Paul Newman, "The Price of Sugar" follows Father Christopher Hartley, a charismatic Spanish priest, as he organizes some of this hemisphere's poorest people to fight for their basic human rights. This film raises key questions about where the products we consume originate and at what human cost they are produced.

Where & When
Sedgwick Theater
7137 Germantown Ave
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19119
October 10, 2009
7PM
$5
This screening is made possible by our neighbors at:

EBBGGRCvlGod of Tears
The mission of The Flickering Light is to expand the limited exhibition opportunities for independent short and feature-length films in order to benefit both filmmakers and audiences. TFL offers events where film enthusiasts and neighborhood residents can come together to watch curated film selections in a comfortable community setting for an affordable price.

The Flickering Light
@ Sedgwick Theater
7137 Germantown Ave
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19119
Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to sapphir...@gmail.com by theflicke...@gmail.com.
The Flickering Light | 7137 Germantown Ave | Philadelphia | PA | 19119

--
People, Places & Things
Sundays from 11 to 12 p.m.

All that you touch, you Change.

All that you Change, Changes you.

The only lasting truth is Change.

God is Change.

-Earthseed, the Books of the Living
(Octavia E. Butler, The Parables of the Sower)