Sambamba vs samtools performance

Pjotr Prins

Feb 14, 2018, 5:08:49 AM2/14/18
to sambamba-discussion
Emilio Palumbo has been doing some performance tests on sambamba. He
discovered a speed regression in 0.6.7 (2x slower for certain
conditions). This was due to a change in compilation procedure. I had
split all compilations steps to make development easier, but LLVM
manages quite a bit of inline optimizations when you compile into a
single object. Bit late for me to realize!

As a bonus, upcoming 0.6.8 is 10-20% faster than 0.6.6. This is due to
D-compiler and LLVM improvements.

Other findings are that sambamba is still faster than samtools for
index, view and markdup.

sambamba lost out on sort, though I find that with enough RAM and
cores it can still be faster.

If you want to try latest build:

wget http://files.genenetwork.org/software/contrib/sambamba-0.6.8-pre1
md5sum sambamba-0.6.8-pre1
3d6a286947daebb44ac87b4ff2f16c66

Pj.

Emilio

Feb 27, 2018, 9:06:44 AM2/27/18
to sambamba-discussion
Hi,

the code of the tests I ran and a sample report can be found on GitHub at the following link:

It would be great if anybody else other than me could run the benchmark.

Best,
Emilio