Timeouts with salt-cloud

Heidi Harding

Mar 14, 2024, 10:50:05 AMMar 14
to Salt-users
Hi, We're currently using salt-cloud to deploy VMs to OpenStack. Unfortunately after around 3 minutes salt-cloud times out and deletes the VM because it took too long. Does anyone know of a timeout setting for this?
The error is:
[ERROR   ] Error creating server <vm name>: Timeout waiting for the server to come up.
Error: There was a profile error: Timeout waiting for the server to come up.

So far I've tried:
wait_for_ip_timeout: 1500
ssh_connect_timeout: 900

in the profile as well as the provider configuration as specified in the docs here: https://docs.saltproject.io/en/latest/topics/cloud/misc.html#connection-timeout

If we use a faster volume type in openstack it spawns the VM without problems.

Thanks in advance,
Heidi
PS we're using salt 3005.5.

Phipps, Thomas

Mar 14, 2024, 12:06:03 PMMar 14
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
so the issue is that error is from shade timeing out not salt-cloud.

so you should look to the shade documentation for timeout information https://docs.openstack.org/shade/latest/user/usage.html#shade.OpenStackCloud.create_server

for the record wait is set to true.

the option you are looking for is timeout. as part of the vm profile.