Learning Resources

John Adams

Oct 31, 2022, 5:37:49 PM10/31/22
to Salt-users
Hello all.  I am brand new to Salt and really trying to wrap my brain around it.  Can anyone recommend any resources such as books, tutorials, videos, courses etc that might help me get started?

Thanks in advance!

Dafydd Jones (techneg.it)

Nov 1, 2022, 9:19:32 AM11/1/22
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Hello John,

the user guide would be the place to start: https://docs.saltproject.io/salt/user-guide/en/latest/index.html

And then there are several books on Salt (SaltStack) published by Packt.

HTH,
Dafydd

On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 at 21:37, John Adams <johnma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello all.  I am brand new to Salt and really trying to wrap my brain around it.  Can anyone recommend any resources such as books, tutorials, videos, courses etc that might help me get started?

Thanks in advance!

John Adams

Nov 1, 2022, 11:30:42 AM11/1/22
to Salt-users
Hey thanks for the response.  I've started going through the docs but don't find them that clear from a getting started point of view.  I did find the Learning SaltStack from Packt that I'll try and see if that can get me up to speed.  If anyone knows of any video tutorials, that would be helpful.

Thanks!

Craig Sebenik

Nov 1, 2022, 1:01:46 PM11/1/22
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
There is also a book from O’Reilly:

(It’s a bit old. But, the core concepts should hold.)

I thought I saw some salt content on one of the big “MOOCs”. (Eg udemy, Coursera, etc.) But, I can’t find anything right this second…

Yerry Sherry

Nov 1, 2022, 7:17:14 PM11/1/22
to Salt-users
Hi,

I'm also very new to salt. (1 week) There are many books but a lot of them are outdated. But this does not mean they are useless. The principals are the same and they are a very good starting point. Scroll down from the website https://docs.saltproject.io/en/latest/ you see all the books with are available. Search and compare :-) Luckily my company has an oreilly account.

But this one looks very updated:  https://leanpub.com/saltstackfordevops/

I just start with https://www.udemy.com/course/learning-path-automation-with-ansible-puppet-and-salt/ and bought it for nearly 12 euro. Yes, I got a discount of nearly 90%. I just waited a few days, show interest in this course by clicking on it. No idea, if this course is ok.

Regards,
Yerry

veribaka

Nov 1, 2022, 7:17:14 PM11/1/22
to Salt-users
Adding to what Dafydd recommended... My first recommendation to anyone interested in Saltstack is the Demo environment: https://docs.saltproject.io/en/getstarted/fundamentals/index.html

It provides you with 3 VMs in vagrant, one master, and two minions. The page has a short tutorial to get you started with basic concepts and exercises.

John Adams

Nov 3, 2022, 9:37:00 AM11/3/22
to Salt-users
Thanks everyone.  I've found a small series of YouTube videos that got me started and I'm reading one of the Packt books.  Also, I've taken the time to go through the official docs and have started to make sense of it all.

For anyone else starting out:

YouTube channel DevOps Clinic
Learning SaltStack - Second Edition: Build, manage, and secure your infrastructure with the power of SaltStack by Colton Myers published by Packt