No pillar data after refresh

Jeremiah Garmatter

May 18, 2023, 11:03:05 AM5/18/23
to Salt-users
Hello,

I have a salt master and minion, both are on version 3006.1. I have a simple pillar test to run, I simply want to see that a pillar is accessible by a minion. When I run saltutil.pillar_refresh the minion returns true. When I run pillar.data I get "----------" as an output. I was able to receive pillar data on minions some time ago. I'm not sure what changed but my simple test does not work anymore. Anybody know what is going on here?

/srv/pillar/top.sls:
base:
  '*':
    - test

/srv/pillar/test.sls:
test: Some text

Jeremiah Garmatter

May 18, 2023, 4:05:35 PM5/18/23
to Salt-users
Well I figured out the issue but I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't see it earlier. Someone had changed the permissions and ownership of several state and pillar files in some attempt at improving security. The salt user was unable to open the pillar files due to these changes. Granting the salt account read access corrected the issue.