Error Applying State

John Adams

Nov 3, 2022, 3:16:24 PM11/3/22
to Salt-users
I am playing around with salt on some test machines.  I setup some state files and am having a strange issue when applying states to a couple of my test machines:

mttest1:
    Data failed to compile:
----------
    Pillar failed to render with the following messages:
----------
    Failed to load ext_pillar netbox: 'status'

This only occurs on a couple of test machines.  The other 2 test machines, the state is applied successfully.  I was playing with  getting the netbox and zabbix modules to work at some point, but I've removed that configuration so I'm not sure where this error is coming from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

John

Phipps, Thomas

Nov 3, 2022, 3:40:24 PM11/3/22
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
force a refresh of the pillar. te in memory pillar was corrupted during your testing.

saltutil.pillar_refresh

John Adams

Nov 3, 2022, 3:43:57 PM11/3/22
to Salt-users
That was it.  Thank you!  I had been restarting the master service.  Does that not force a refresh?

Phipps, Thomas

Nov 3, 2022, 3:49:55 PM11/3/22
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
it does not. the minion controls when it pulls the information. most of salt is pull not push. even when you are sending a command to a minion the master just puts it out for minions to pick up and a minion after picking it up will run it. pulling all information with in. all pushs are from the minion to the master, such as return data, mine data grains info for the grains cache. etc.

John Adams

Nov 3, 2022, 4:02:58 PM11/3/22
to Salt-users
Ah that makes a lot of sense and answers some other questions I had.  Thanks again!