Command Prompt/Powershell/batch file Issue with Windows Salt Minion 3005.1

Jeremy

Nov 3, 2022, 10:25:24 AM11/3/22
to Salt-users
When running some states on a Windows Minion (most that include file.managed) from a batch file, command prompt, or power shell prompt, the states run successfully, but it freezes after the run summary requiring a ctrl + c to 'Terminate batch job'.  This ONLY occurs in Salt Minion for Windows 3005.1 onedir AND also 3005.1 py3 (although I didn't try 3005 variants, but would imagine they are the same).  The issue is non-existent in 3004 versions of Windows Salt Minion.  Tried on multiple machines, Windows 10 and Windows 11, same issue.  What could be possibly causing this?  Thanks.

Phipps, Thomas

Nov 3, 2022, 11:41:35 AM11/3/22
to salt-...@googlegroups.com

This is a known issue. If you have a classic package instead of a onedir install use salt-call pip.install pyzmq==22.0.3 then restart the minion.

Unfortunately that command will not work for onedir packages, it will install the package but it will not pick up the change.

On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 7:25 AM Jeremy <jeremy...@gmail.com> wrote:
When running some states on a Windows Minion (most that include file.managed) from a batch file, command prompt, or power shell prompt, the states run successfully, but it freezes after the run summary requiring a ctrl + c to 'Terminate batch job'.  This ONLY occurs in Salt Minion for Windows 3005.1 onedir AND also 3005.1 py3 (although I didn't try 3005 variants, but would imagine they are the same).  The issue is non-existent in 3004 versions of Windows Salt Minion.  Tried on multiple machines, Windows 10 and Windows 11, same issue.  What could be possibly causing this?  Thanks.

Jeremy

Nov 3, 2022, 12:04:26 PM11/3/22
to Salt-users
OK thanks, I guess its best to stick to 3004.2 for Windows minions until that gets resolved.

Urs Rau

Nov 14, 2022, 10:04:40 AM11/14/22
to Salt-users
Where is this 'known issue' tracked? Your workaround of installing ```pyzmq==22.0.3``` worked and the cmd prompt returned again. Thanks.
But this only works on the minion itself.

IF and when I run a ```state.apply``` or ```state.highstate```from the master I get no output at all, I assume it 'hangs' in a similar fashion?

Any idea how to get the states to actually run and not hang when run from master side and not directly manually on the minion?

When I run it from master I get no output at all and after timeout is reached it tells me that I can see the output later by calling the jobid once it has finished. except it never finishes.

How do I debug this and find what is hanging this?

Thanks for your help.

Urs Rau

Nov 15, 2022, 12:52:59 AM11/15/22
to whyt...@bad4.us, salt-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phipps Thomas,

Where is this known issue tracked? What is the issue or bug number?

Thanks.

Best.

--
Urs Rau
IT Engineer

Phipps, Thomas

Nov 15, 2022, 1:15:38 AM11/15/22
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
a new package version was released for windows and onedir versions to take care of the issue. the issue was tracked in https://github.com/saltstack/salt/issues/62937

The master problem you describe is not related. and is most likely something else.I did not see the issue you are describing on the master at all. the return data DID return to the master during the events.it just left a running thread that didn't die.

I also ask that you do not contact me directly. Please keep all group discussions in the group.