Re: [salt-users] Digest for salt-users@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Abdellatif Housni

May 28, 2023, 11:28:31 AM5/28/23
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Andy,

The I recommend you to install the specific version corresponding to your elk cluster for example if using 7.17.x via `pip install elasticsearch==7.17.9` ?

Also, pay attention to the following remark from official doc about indexes.

The index that you wish to store documents will be created by Elasticsearch automatically if doesn't exist yet. It is highly recommended to create predefined index templates with appropriate mapping(s) that will be used by Elasticsearch upon index creation. Otherwise you will have problems as described in #20826."

Last time I tried I had to create them first to correspond to the configuration of salt master and minions.

Le dim. 28 mai 2023, 08:54, <salt-...@googlegroups.com> a écrit :
Andy Rudeseal <trud...@gmail.com>: May 27 05:11PM -0700

I've read all the docs I can find on this. I'm trying to get this working
from a minion before I apply to a production salt master/syndics. I hope
someone here can help....I know I've probably missed something or did
something wrong in the process.

Here is what I have:
Salt Version:
Salt: 3004.2

Dependency Versions:
cffi: Not Installed
cherrypy: Not Installed
dateutil: Not Installed
docker-py: Not Installed
gitdb: Not Installed
gitpython: Not Installed
Jinja2: 2.11.1
libgit2: Not Installed
M2Crypto: 0.35.2
Mako: Not Installed
msgpack: 0.6.2
msgpack-pure: Not Installed
mysql-python: Not Installed
pycparser: Not Installed
pycrypto: Not Installed
pycryptodome: Not Installed
pygit2: Not Installed
Python: 3.6.8 (default, Nov 16 2020, 16:55:22)
python-gnupg: Not Installed
PyYAML: 3.13
PyZMQ: 17.0.0
smmap: Not Installed
timelib: Not Installed
Tornado: 4.5.3
ZMQ: 4.1.4

System Versions:
dist: centos 7 Core
locale: UTF-8
machine: x86_64
release: 3.10.0-1160.11.1.el7.x86_64
system: Linux
version: CentOS Linux 7 Core

I installed the elasticsearch client like so:
python3 -m pip install elasticsearch

Running this again confirms it's installed.

python3 -m pip install elasticsearch
Requirement already satisfied: elasticsearch in
/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages
Requirement already satisfied: elastic-transport<9,>=8 in
/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from elasticsearch)
Requirement already satisfied: certifi in
/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from
elastic-transport<9,>=8->elasticsearch)
Requirement already satisfied: dataclasses; python_version < "3.7" in
/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from
elastic-transport<9,>=8->elasticsearch)
Requirement already satisfied: urllib3<2,>=1.26.2 in
/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (from
elastic-transport<9,>=8->elasticsearch)

This is my minion config file, now I have no idea how to setup http_auth
username and password here, I'm just guessing (I am no developer so looking
at the code doesn't help). The docs don't even go into how ....
<sarcasim>I guess everyone uses an unsecured elasticsearch</sarcasim>

master: salt
log_level: debug
external_job_cache: elasticsearch

elasticsearch:
host: 'elastic.blah.com:443'
use_ssl: true
username: user
password: pass
index: 'salt-returner'
index_date: True
number_of_shards: 1
number_of_replicas: 1
debug_returner_payload: True
states_count: True
states_order_output: True
states_single_index: True
functions_blacklist:
- test.ping
- saltutil.find_job

This is the output:

salt-call --local grains.items --return elasticsearch
[DEBUG ] Configuration file path: /etc/salt/minion
[WARNING ] Insecure logging configuration detected! Sensitive data may be
logged.
[DEBUG ] Grains refresh requested. Refreshing grains.
[DEBUG ] Missing configuration file: /etc/salt/minion
[DEBUG ] Including configuration from '/etc/salt/minion.d/_schedule.conf'
[DEBUG ] Reading configuration from /etc/salt/minion.d/_schedule.conf
[DEBUG ] Including configuration from '/etc/salt/minion.d/qad.conf'
[DEBUG ] Reading configuration from /etc/salt/minion.d/qad.conf
[DEBUG ] Override __utils__: <module 'salt.loaded.int.grains.zfs' from
'/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/salt/grains/zfs.py'>
[DEBUG ] /etc/resolv.conf: The domain and search keywords are mutually
exclusive.
[DEBUG ] Elapsed time getting FQDNs: 0.11004424095153809 seconds
[DEBUG ] Loading static grains from /etc/salt/grains
[DEBUG ] LazyLoaded zfs.is_supported
[DEBUG ] Determining pillar cache
[DEBUG ] Using importlib_metadata to load entry points
[DEBUG ] LazyLoaded jinja.render
[DEBUG ] LazyLoaded yaml.render
[DEBUG ] LazyLoaded jinja.render
[DEBUG ] LazyLoaded yaml.render
[DEBUG ] Override __grains__: <module 'salt.loaded.int.module.grains'
from '/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/salt/modules/grains.py'>
[DEBUG ] LazyLoaded grains.items
[DEBUG ] LazyLoaded direct_call.execute
[DEBUG ] LazyLoaded path.which
[DEBUG ] Override __salt__: <module 'salt.loaded.int.module.dracr' from
'/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/salt/modules/dracr.py'>
[DEBUG ] Missing configuration file: /etc/salt/minion
[DEBUG ] Including configuration from '/etc/salt/minion.d/_schedule.conf'
[DEBUG ] Reading configuration from /etc/salt/minion.d/_schedule.conf
[DEBUG ] Including configuration from '/etc/salt/minion.d/qad.conf'
[DEBUG ] Reading configuration from /etc/salt/minion.d/qad.conf
[DEBUG ] Using cached minion ID from /etc/salt/minion_id:
db3dfe52-5a10-4bbc-bd11-402609bbc91e
[DEBUG ] Using importlib_metadata to load entry points
[DEBUG ] Could not LazyLoad idem.hub: 'idem' __virtual__ returned False:
No module named 'pop'
[DEBUG ] Override __salt__: <module 'salt.loaded.int.module.kubeadm'
from '/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/salt/modules/kubeadm.py'>
[INFO ] Executing command 'pdbedit' in directory '/root'
[DEBUG ] stdout: Version 4.10.16
[DEBUG ] output: Version 4.10.16
[DEBUG ] Override __salt__: <module 'salt.loaded.int.module.udev' from
'/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/salt/modules/udev.py'>
[DEBUG ] Override __pillar__: <module
'salt.loaded.int.module.virtualenv_mod' from
'/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/salt/modules/virtualenv_mod.py'>
[DEBUG ] DSC: Only available on Windows systems
[DEBUG ] Module PSGet: Only available on Windows systems
[DEBUG ] Could not LazyLoad elasticsearch.index_exists: 'elasticsearch'
__virtual__ returned False: Cannot load module elasticsearch: elasticsearch
libraries not found
[DEBUG ] LazyLoaded nagios.list_plugins
[DEBUG ] Could not LazyLoad elasticsearch.returner:
'elasticsearch.returner' is not available.
[DEBUG ] Using importlib_metadata to load entry points
[DEBUG ] LazyLoaded nested.output

Any help on getting this working is greatly appreciated.