SC Trails meeting notes from Monday

Kate Yeater

Mar 15, 2023, 5:07:38 PM3/15/23
to salmon-area-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Action items:
  • Kate is going to follow up with Gabby on some proposed dates in late summer to meet down in Challis for a collaborative Challis/Salmon trails gathering
  • Bill will share out info about SIMBA's Disco volunteer day once it gets scheduled in April
  • Check out the various summer trails projects from ITA, CDTC, and upcoming Salmon Challis Trails Group volunteer opportunities if you want to get out on the trails this summer
  • Mark your calendars for:
    • Challis Community Trails Collaborative's Trails Summit on May 13th
    • SIMBA's Nine-and-a-Half-Hours of Disco on May 20th
    • Leave No Trace activities May 31-June 4
    • SC Trails Volunteer Day June 10th
I'm probably forgetting a few things so don't forget you all can email the group if you have things to say too! Stay tuned for all the exciting field trips and trails activities coming in the months ahead.

Kate

Kate Yeater (she/her)
Outdoor Education and Trails Stewardship Coordinator

www.salmonvalley.org
office: 208-756-1686
cell: 419-310-2447

Bill MacFarlane

Mar 16, 2023, 1:39:55 PM3/16/23
to salmon-area-...@googlegroups.com, Kate Yeater
Hey everybody,

Just to follow up on the topic of CDT segment adoption and share what I know:  Last spring, I had asked the CDTC volunteer coordinator why the CDT segments on the Beaverhead-Deerlodge NF are not adoptable.  I dug up that old email, and it's because "the CDTC does not have a Volunteer Service Agreement with the Wisdom Ranger District of the Beaverhead-Deerlodge NF, therefore CDTC Adopters are not allowed to work there."  This applies to Segments 468-475 (Jahnke Creek to Slag-a-Melt Lake), Segment 476 (Carmen Creek to small lake - all in Montana), 477 (Small lake to SF Sheep Creek - half in MT and half in ID), and 480 (the short section above Bradley Gulch that is in Montana).

A few of these segments are of great interest to SIMBA, and we would certainly adopt them if we could.  Some of these segments are also the ones that had the most deadfall on them late last summer.  I don't know why CDTC does not have a VSA with the Wisdom Ranger District.  I believe North Fork Trail Alliance does have their own VSA directly with the Wisdom Ranger District that allows them to officially work on a few other segments of the CDT in Montana (Goldstone Pass to Jahnke Creek), with reporting/coordination going directly through the FS (not CDTC).  This could be an option for SIMBA, or any other group that wants to work on these trails.

It's a little strange that the CDTC is having a CDT adopter training at Big Hole Pass this summer, when there are only 2 segments in this entire region that are currently adoptable - #479 (Bradley Gulch - it's a short segment that's half singletrack, and half ATV road used for mining access that would presumably be cleared by the mine claimant) and #484 (Nez Perce Ridge to Anderson Mountain, much of which burned in the 2021 Trail Creek Fire - the SCNF did a lot of work on it last summer, but it will need quite a bit of clearing in the foreseeable future).  It would probably be worth having conversations with CDTC and the Wisdom Ranger District to figure out what the issues are.  Otherwise, seems like there wouldn't be too much interest in the CDTC adopter training this summer.

Bill MacFarlane
Salmon Idaho Mountain Bike Association

Tim Carroll

Mar 16, 2023, 7:18:52 PM3/16/23
to salmon-area-...@googlegroups.com, Kate Yeater, Bill MacFarlane
Thanks Bill,
What you described with the North Fork Trail Alliance is also essentially what SCA has done to work on our Section of adopted trail on the Wisdom RD.

I think that our project agreement with the Wisdom RD is part of the reason why the CDTC keeps SCA on that adopter map for the section from Carmen creek to Slag-a-melt.  I think we were sort of grandfathered in as well when they made changes to their adopter program a couple of years ago .

You'll notice that the segment numbers are also out of order when you click on that SCA section.

Seems like something the CDTC could fix this year if they were aware of the need.
Hope that helps a bit.
Tim.

Tim Carroll
Program Director - SCA Idaho Corps Program
Student Conservation Association

Apr 12, 2023, 2:07:51 AM4/12/23
to salmon-area-...@googlegroups.com, Kate Yeater
Hey everybody,

I mentioned this at our last meeting and wanted to get more information out to folks.  SIMBA and the BLM Salmon Field Office are organizing a trail work day on the Discovery Hill trails for Earth Day, which is Saturday April 22, from 9am to 1pm.  We have a variety of projects to work on, mostly within a half-mile of the trailhead, including some new trail construction (Discovery Hill - Hillside connector), a re-route around an eroded section of trail, some drainage work, and potentially some old trail reclamation work.  There will also be opportunities for trash pickup and trail work in other locations at Discovery Hill.

Steve has offered up the YEP tool trailer (thank you Steve).  If anybody else from this group is interested in participating in any way, or even providing goodies for the community volunteers, please let me or Travis know.  We will be getting word out to the community via social media in the next day or two, and I think we'll be able to get a good group of volunteers.  Should be a fun morning, and a very worthwhile project to improve our local trail system.

Let me or Travis know if you have any questions.  Thanks.