SC Trails Updates

Kate Yeater

Jul 3, 2024, 12:40:05 PM (2 days ago) Jul 3
to salmon-area-...@googlegroups.com
Happy July everyone!

This is just to let everyone know we'll cancel the regular bimonthly trails meeting next Tuesday (July 9th) and instead plan for a Trails Action Plan Open House at the end of the month or in early August. I've got a lot going on this month and I'm sure all of you do too!

A few things I wanted to highlight in the meantime:

CDT Volunteer Trail Work Day at Big Hole Pass
Saturday August 17th
It's not too late to sign up for this one-day trail work day up near Gibbonsville. Food will be provided, the Continental Divide Trail Coalition will be here to guide volunteers in helping increase access to a water source along the trail up at Big Hole Pass. Always a fun time with the CDTC so hope you can join us!

Trails Action Plan Open House
At our last meeting we talked about doing this sort of open house-style event at a local business to share in food & drink while looking at updating the Trails Action Plan. What dates would people be interested/available for, thinking around 7-9 pm?
Monday July 29th
Wednesday July 31st
Monday August 5th
Other dates in August?

Wagonhammer Trail Sign Installation
I've got the majority of signs, 8' posts, and hardware. Now I just need willing and able-bodied folks who want to trek into the Wagonhammer trail network, dig holes for posts, and help install signs! If you want to help me navigate the logistics of this or just get out there and try it out yourself or with others, let me know! I'm also talking with some volunteer trail groups in Idaho Falls who might be interested in helping, so we may schedule a big volunteer weekend later this summer as well!

Wayfinding
The contractor SVS hired to develop a wayfinding plan for Salmon and Challis, Vitruvian Planning, is finalizing their wayfinding plan and will be sharing that with us soon. We had meetings with Salmon City Council and Challis City Council at the beginning of June and both cities sound interested in pursuing some wayfinding signage once the plan is done. There is a wayfinding committee made up of local/regional nonprofits who will work on sourcing grants to actually buy signs in the future.

Friends of the Pathway
Another upcoming gathering for later in the summer will be an event specifically about fundraising and volunteering to be a "Friend of the Pathway" - our bike path! Steve Adams of YEP has secured the sweeper he got from an IDPR grant and now we need to think about generating more funds to help with long-term maintenance of the bike path. Look for more details to come.

Thanks for reading all of that! Come swing by the SVS office if you ever want to talk trails or send an email. Like I said, July is a little busy for me schedule-wise but I'm hoping we can make progress on a variety of these things! Good luck to anyone running or volunteering for the Beaverhead in 10 days!

Kate

Kate Yeater (she/her)
Outdoor Education and Trails Stewardship Coordinator

www.salmonvalley.org
office: 208-756-1686
cell: 419-310-2447