Licenses

Merlin Hartley

May 17, 2019, 5:07:05 AM5/17/19
to sal-discuss
Greetings folks!

I've been an avid user of Munki for some years now and tend to use MunkiReportPHP for reporting (I like the 'remote control' buttons especially)... but now I have become more interested in Sal due to the licensing support.

I have the installation successfully working using Docker and have created 10 Business Units for our 10 Research Groups - and made profiles to add clients using SalProfileGenerator [1] - I now have 95 clients successfully checking in - all good.

Now I've started looking at using the Licensing module and I've hit a slight roadblock in that it wants me to assign all licenses to individual Business Groups.
We currently tend to purchase licenses which can move around between our Research Groups - and a few which can't.

Is there any chance of adding the flexibility to the License system such that a license can be assigned to multiple Business Units and the total is checked?
Or is there an even better way to achieve something similar?

Many thanks!

Merlin

Graham Gilbert

May 17, 2019, 9:30:59 AM5/17/19
to Sal-Discuss
I don’t have this on my roadmap as I do not currently use this feature (it was added for someone else).

I would however happily take a pull request for this.

Merlin Hartley

May 21, 2019, 9:40:31 AM5/21/19
to sal-d...@googlegroups.com, IT Support
Well it turns out I can’t get the Licensing system to work anyway … is there anyone here using it?

I’m getting infinite redirects [1] - using an apache proxy and even when going inside the docker.

From the code [2] it looks like I might need a ‘key’ or something in the url - but I can’t work out what that might be:

Does anyone have any enlightenment for me?

Thanks!

Merlin

[1]
# curl -I localhost:8000/licenses/available/?name=AffinityDesigner
HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Server: nginx/1.4.6 (Ubuntu)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 13:33:55 GMT
Connection: keep-alive
Vary: Cookie
Location: /licenses/available/?name=AffinityDesigner
P3P: CP="ALL DSP COR PSAa PSDa OUR NOR ONL UNI COM NAV”

[2]
urlpatterns = [
url(r'^$', license_index, name='license_index'),
url(r'^available/(?P<key>.+)', available),
url(r'^available/(?P<key>.+)(?P<item_name>[^/]+)$', available),

--
Merlin Hartley
Computer Officer

Graham Gilbert

May 21, 2019, 10:03:08 AM5/21/19
to Sal-Discuss, IT Support
Based on https://github.com/salopensource/sal/blob/master/licenses/views.py#L78 and my memory of code I wrote several years ago the key is the machine group key. I guess you should add that to the license info url.

When you do work it out, feel free to add it to the wiki. It appears there isn’t any documentation at all (which shows how well used it is I guess)

Merlin Hartley

May 21, 2019, 12:29:11 PM5/21/19
to sal-d...@googlegroups.com, IT Support
Thanks Graham!

Yes that seems to be it - this kind of thing:

It’s probably worth updating the munki wiki pages too - considering MWA1 is totally deprecated!