Locations selector progress

Fran Boon

Aug 21, 2010, 4:49:11 AM8/21/10
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
A lot of progress has been made on this in Trunk code:

http://eden.sahanafoundation.org/wiki/Taiwan#LocationsSelector

I know that this was a task which the Taiwan team were going to
contribute, however it was needed urgently for Pakistan, so I went
ahead & took some time off work to prioritise it. It can still use
some extra work though - outstanding issues are hopefully clear from
the Wiki page :)

Best Wishes,
Fran.

Hsiaojan

Aug 21, 2010, 5:17:09 AM8/21/10
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
Fran:

the location selection will be done by IBM team, however, the contract
with IBM starts since Sep.
If there's space for time, I will ask them to put effort about this at
the beginning of the contract and push it online asap.
Let me know your decsion.

Hsiaojan

--
Hsiaojan Liu

Fran Boon

Aug 21, 2010, 5:31:39 AM8/21/10
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
On 21 August 2010 10:17, Hsiaojan <hsiaoj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the location selection will be done by IBM team, however, the contract
> with IBM starts since Sep.
> If there's space for time, I will ask them to put effort about this at
> the beginning of the contract and push it online asap.
> Let me know your decsion.

Well, we need to work together basically - 'Merge Early, Merge Often'
The critical work for Pakistan is mostly done, so by the time
September comes around there may not be much left needed there.
I mainly wanted to give a heads-up that there's probably no need to
start from scratch (although a complete redesign is still
possible)....there are refinements possible - currently in terms of
making it more robust/intelligent & then looking at precaching to make
it more efficient.
The area of Geocoding which was important for Taiwan, but not so much
for Pakistan (as we don't have the data there) is still completely
open.