Data Analysis and Use: Pakistan Flood Relief 2010-2011

1 view

Saira

Feb 29, 2012, 3:16:04 PM2/29/12
to Sahana Pakistan 2010 Flood Response
Hi All,

I'm writing to you because a team of us - Nadia Hasham, Kermit Jones,
and myself - received a Graduate Student Fellowship from the Advanced
Consortium on Cooperation, Conflict, and Complexity from Columbia
University's Earth Institute to study data use and conflict dynamics
during the Pakistan flood relief in 2010-11. We are all second-year
students at Columbia's School of International and Public Affairs.

We plan to travel to Pakistan at the beginning of March (4-14) in
order to conduct field interviews, and given the work of the people of
this listserve, we would really appreciate if any of you can connect
us with the relevant people in Pakistan or here in the US/Canada, in
any relevant areas including the flood relief, data collection/Crisis
Mapping, conflict assessment. If you were involved, we are also
interested in arranging a meeting with you. Please also feel free to
forward this email to anyone you think would be useful for or
interested in this research. Feel free to contact me for more
information regarding our project.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best wishes,
--
Saira Qureshi

Imran Adeel Haider

Mar 1, 2012, 12:43:39 AM3/1/12
to sahana-pak...@googlegroups.com
Saira,

When you are here in Pakistan, you may contact Rotary Club, Karachi Chapter, which organized a good number of relief efforts.

Other than that, the response of various socio-religious organizations was also commendable in terms of providing relief and sustained services to the affectees.  For that, I particularly noticed Jamaat-e-Islami, and even the armed forces.  Another NGO was Mahwash Jahangir Siddiqui Foundation (MJSF: http://mjsf.net/portal/), where I know Ali Charanya, who headed the relief services with UN.

A very good source of data is National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA: http://ndma.gov.pk/), which has the master data of all efforts.

Hope these links would be helpful to you.

--
Best regards
Imran Adeel Haider

Idrees

Mar 1, 2012, 1:24:21 PM3/1/12
to sahana-pak...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for adding us in the mailing list.please feel free to contact me for the field visits.

Idrees Ismail.