Reviving Sahana-L10N

Dominic

Jan 3, 2010, 9:18:58 AM1/3/10
to Sahana Localization
Hello Sahana-L10N community,

as it seems, the effort to transition the Sahana localisation project
into a wider HFOSS localisation project was a step into the wrong
direction. The steps I took so far have immediately lamed any activity
for Sahana localisation - despite there are still people interested in
translating Sahana.

Hence, I'll take back the steps towards HFOSS-L10N and revert to the
original Sahana project. However, I'll keep the Trac server (http://
translate.hfoss.eu) as knowledge base and project administration site,
and Launchpad-Bazaar as repository.

Best regards,
All good wishes to you in 2010,

Dominic König

Chamindra de Silva

Jan 3, 2010, 10:03:59 AM1/3/10
to sahana-lo...@googlegroups.com, Mark Prutsalis
I certainly supported Dominic logic on HFOSS, however possibly this
was not the right time yet for this transition and Sahana certainly
still needs a lot of support from the localization team. It was
certainly worth a try, but I think the main thing is that we continue
to listen to the community and ensure that their aspirations are been
accounted for. Thanks Dominic for taking that reality check at the
right time.

Meanwhile I would like to take this opportunity to also wish you a
Happy New Year and hope you will continue to work actively in the
Sahana project in 2010.

Best Regards,

--
Chamindra de Silva
Home: http://chamindra-de-silva.blogspot.com

Dominic König

Jan 3, 2010, 3:10:26 PM1/3/10
to p...@sahana.lk, sahana-lo...@googlegroups.com
No, Chamindra,

I don't think there can be a committership policy like yours in Sahana-L10N.

And moreover, please don't mind me arguing that this has not proven to give
appropriate momentum to the project, it has failed in so far that there's a
number of people who have received committership without actually doing that:
checking in contributions, ensuring quality of code and mentoring
contributors. They just enjoy their status, but didn't take on their mission.

I don't want that.

Please understand my attitude here - this is still an open source project:
recognition of yours is that others re-use your work. If you're longing for
affiliation and ranking (which is typically male, but infantile), you should
rather join a sports club.

Contributor (and it would be "Sahana-L10N contributor", right?) is everyone
who contributes to the project - everything else is just not true. Committers
are those who build and maintain the product from the contributions - these
will surely be volunteers with a higher commitment to the project than other
contributors - but it's still a job, no kudos.

So these are rather functional roles than kind of recognition, and they do
require neither nomination nor community consensus - if the role is vacant
and there is someone who wants to try it - he gets it. I think we can be
happy if anybody is willing to take on the one or the other.

Governance is another pair of shoes, and here I tend to keep the existing
(simple and authoritative) structure:

1. Project Leader - one person leading the whole (actually - me)

2. Contributors - everybody contributing translations, code or the like

3. Maintainers - people maintaining structure, workflow and quality of
contributions

Maintainers do not necessarily have to be contributors, or vice versa - these
are just two different roles. Maintainers serve the project by making it as
convenient as possible for contributors to contribute.

When once either the community of contributors or the number of tasks are
overgrowing this structure, I think there's certainly a place for mentors (to
guide contributors) and a project management team (to support the leader) -
but right now this seems not necessary.

I expect and promote an open dialog between these roles, that's what we have
the mailing list for. Any comments or suggestions are always welcome (but
rare), they should be openly discussed by all community members (yet more
rare), and from the outcome of the discussion (I intentionally say "outcome"
not "consensus" here) the leader will decide. This sounds authoritative, and
is indeed thought to be. However - you know that there's no space for
arbitrariness if you really want to move things forward - wrong decisions
lead to retraction of faith and commitment - which are still way harder to
regain than to loose.

Recognition finally, in terms of a certain "karma", is up to the community
discussion. Making yourself visible is part of the game - DO good things and
keep talking about it. As the project leader, I will not award any "karma".

But as a community member, I'll surely take the chance to sow "karma" for
outstanding contributions, right as any other community member would do: by
just commenting on these contributions on public forums.

So, there's still a way to get legend.

Best regards,
Dominic König

Den Sunday 03 January 2010 16:07:40 skrev du:
> We also need to do more to recognize the contributions of translators.
> Dominic do you have any suggestions. Can we first nominate them as
> "Sahana contributors" or "Sahana Senior Contributors". ref:
> http://wiki.sahana.lk/doku.php/policy:committership_policy
>
> Chamindra
>
> On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Chamindra de Silva

signature.asc

Dominic König

Jan 4, 2010, 7:11:58 AM1/4/10
to Sahana Localization
Hello all,

I migrated the Sahana Translation Wiki to the Trac server at
http://translate.sahana.lk

Regards,
Dominic

Chamindra de Silva

Jan 4, 2010, 1:55:25 PM1/4/10
to Dominic König, p...@sahana.lk, sahana-lo...@googlegroups.com
Sure Dominic, whatever makes sense for the L10N team and yes we must
have some open dialog on this. I think all of your feedback makes
sense for the rest of us too. Yes certainly the primary value we get
as contributors is to see Sahana used in disaster after disaster to
help in the coordination effort. I also liked your thoughts on
maintainers (ie those maintaining policy and quality and making it
convenient for contributors to contribute).

Chamindra