Brazilian Portuguese Translation

Christiane

Sep 22, 2008, 3:31:08 PM9/22/08
to Sahana Localization
Hello, all,

I'm native Brazilian, and I'm willing to help with the localisation of
Sahana to Brazilian Portuguese.

I've followed the guidelines around, and registered on the Pootle
server, joined both the SF and GG groups for Sahana, and verified that
Brazilian Portuguese does not have a maintainer.

I'm a member of ProZ.com, and a professional translator. My main
experience is in the IT area, since I've been working at it (software,
hardware, networking) for the last 24 years, but I also have
experience in a couple of scientific areas (physics and math), as well
as videogames.

As I'm brand new to the list, and the Sahana localisation project, I'd
appreciate if anyone could help me on how to start working on the
translation itself.

Thank you in advance!

Christiane Jost
EN-PTBR
Brasília/Brazil

Dominic

Sep 24, 2008, 6:46:55 PM9/24/08
to Sahana Localization
Welcome to the team, Christiane!

I want to repeat some of the issues of our mail conversation here at
this list, in order to help others that have the same questions:

> should I use, the .PO, the .XLIFF, .CSV or what?

You should use the PO files, preferably - even if they could be
converted. The Pootle provides also other formats in case the target
application would require these, but Sahana uses PO.

> download the .ZIP files, I get the following error: "'ascii' codec can't
> decode byte 0x9e in position 11: ordinal not in range(128)"

Okay - I fixed that. Sorry for the unconveniences.

> I'd rather work offline, yes, if that's not an inconvenience for the project

No - it's absolutely no problem if you want to work offline. Just
download the PO files from the Pootle server, translate them and send
them back to me. I will merge and upload them. It would be good to
know which of the files you're currently working on, to have a better
oversight which files could be assigned to other translators.

> I'm also assuming that the PO files are generated from the application files
> (I did see somewhere "generated from glossary.txt"). Is it possible to work
> directly from the say glossary.txt file?

It makes rather no sense to work from the source files, and the source
code itself doesn't have to be changed for translation. If you need to
take a look at the Sahana user interface to see what a particular
message string is used for, feel free to use the Sahana demo at the
EDRS server.

Thank you for contributing!
Kind regards,
Dominic

carlos....@unesp.br

Jan 29, 2019, 4:16:23 PM1/29/19
to Sahana Localization
Hello everyone, sorry for the necroposting, but how is it going the translation project today to pt_BR? Can I help keep it updated?

Dominic König

Jan 29, 2019, 4:27:03 PM1/29/19
to Sahana Localization
Hi --

this mailing list is no longer active.

I think the pt_BR translation of Sahana is pretty complete, but it isn't continuously maintained. There will always be a need to update the translations, because the software is continuously improved and extended, and therefore new UI messages introduced.

However, the translation is no longer a separate project - it's all happening in the main project. I would recommend you to join https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sahana-eden, and post your request/offer over there.

Best wishes,
Dominic