SAHANA Farsi translation problesm.?

Jik Jikman

May 1, 2009, 4:14:52 PM5/1/09
to sahana-lo...@googlegroups.com, sahana-...@lists.sourceforge.net
Dear Sir,

I'm currently experimenting to translate SAHANA to farsi (persian). I'm
using XAMPP as local server on windows computer. I created a directory
fa_IR under res\locale and created LC_MESSAGES directory under it.
Then I started translating sahana.pot with PoEdit, which created .mo
file for me automatically.
I found that I should restart my apache server (part of XAMPP) each time
so the translation takes effect, but after all, the problem is the
translated strings just show up as a unknown characters in browsers.
What should I do?
I've attached a picture for better understanding.

Sincerely yours.
J. Jikman.

P.S: of course farsi language pack is installed in my computer. this
problem also exist when I try other languages such as Burmese.

sahana language problem.880211.PNG

Dominic

May 1, 2009, 3:27:04 PM5/1/09
to Sahana Localization
Hello Jik,

what you should do is: rename fa_IR into fa_IR.UTF-8

If this alone does not work, install an appropriate font.

Btw., if you want to contribute your translation to Sahana, just send
the translated .po file to this list. I can also set up a translation
project on our Pootle site http://translate.sahana.lk to share your
work and get other translators involved.

Kind regards,
Dominic
> sahana language problem.880211.PNG
> 59KViewDownload

Dominic

May 1, 2009, 3:29:28 PM5/1/09
to Sahana Localization
Of course, you need to change res/locale/locale accordingly (replace
fa_IR by fa_IR.UTF-8) to get it work.

Dominic

On May 1, 9:27 pm, Dominic <dominic.koe...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello Jik,
>
> what you should do is: rename fa_IR into fa_IR.UTF-8
>
> If this alone does not work, install an appropriate font.
>
> Btw., if you want to contribute your translation to Sahana, just send
> the translated .po file to this list. I can also set up a translation
> project on our Pootle sitehttp://translate.sahana.lkto share your

Jik Jikman

May 5, 2009, 12:35:33 AM5/5/09
to sahana-lo...@googlegroups.com, sahana-...@lists.sourceforge.net
Dear Sir,

I'm currently experimenting to translate SAHANA to farsi (persian). I'm
using XAMPP as local server on windows computer. I created a directory
fa_IR under res\locale and created LC_MESSAGES directory under it.
Then I started translating sahana.pot with PoEdit, which created .mo
file for me automatically.

1: I found that I should restart my apache server (part of XAMPP) each
time so the translation takes effect, what should I do when I uploaded
my site to the internet web server?

2:The next problem is the translated strings just show up as a unknown

sahana language problem.880211.PNG

dragonfly

May 4, 2009, 11:52:23 PM5/4/09
to Sahana Localization
Hi,

1: I changed my locale name to fa_IR.UTF-8 and removed previous
language, installed it as new, and it was no use.
The problem did not solve.

2: What do you mean by proper font? Which font I should install? My
computer could show farsi fonts very well, but in this system, it
could not show characters for Burmese or Farsi.

Thanks.
Jik.

On May 1, 10:29 pm, Dominic <dominic.koe...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Of course, you need to change res/locale/locale accordingly (replace
> fa_IR by fa_IR.UTF-8) to get it work.
>
> Dominic
>
> On May 1, 9:27 pm, Dominic <dominic.koe...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello Jik,
>
> > what you should do is: rename fa_IR into fa_IR.UTF-8
>
> > If this alone does not work, install an appropriate font.
>
> > Btw., if you want to contribute your translation to Sahana, just send
> > the translated .po file to this list. I can also set up a translation
> > project on our Pootle sitehttp://translate.sahana.lktoshare your

Dominic

May 5, 2009, 11:43:51 AM5/5/09
to Sahana Localization
Hello Jik,

I had this problem several times, and it used to resolve after

1. renaming the language directory xx_YY into xx_YY.UTF-8
2. restarting Apache
3. re-installing the language in Sahana

Okay, if this doesn't work, then think the following:

a) does your (web)server support this locale? (check server
configuration)
b) does your (web)browser support this character set? (check installed
fonts)
c) does your POEdit support this locale (meaning: does it encode
correctly in UTF-8?)

If you send me the PO file, I can check for (c) - if I can read it,
then it is correctly encoded, and if so, then we should check your
server configuration.

Some systems (e.g. Debian, but don't know about Windows) do not
support such locales by default, but have to be configured to do so.

From the screenshot you have sent, I assume that option (b) is very
unlikely to be the problem. So check for (c) = send me the file, and
then for (a)

Best regards,
Dominic