SAHANA NETWORK SHARING

Ike Gaamil

May 15, 2014, 3:46:54 AM5/15/14
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
Good Day, I am trying to implement sahan eden in a non profit organization. I installed sahana eden developer on their 3 PC'S but I had a hard time sharing the sahana eden, and until now, i was not able to fix it. They are using Windows 7. They have 3 PC. and 1 PC should be the server. the following are the ip addresses..

PC1- 192.168.1.50 (SERVER)
PC2- 192.168.1.51
PC3- 192.168.1.52

in PC1 (SERVER), the folowing configuration I made:

settings.database.db_type = "mysql"
settings.database.host = "localhost"
settings.database.database = "sahana"
settings.database.username = "root"
settings.database.password = ""

how to configure PC 2 and PC 3 to connect it to PC1 OR THE SERVER ?? ...

Fran Boon

May 15, 2014, 5:03:42 AM5/15/14
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ike,

That looks an interesting idea for LAN networking, but it isn't
something that we've done any testing of or even any thinking as to
whether it should work.
Thinking now, it's basically like a Cluster:
http://eden.sahanafoundation.org/wiki/InstallationGuidelines/Cluster

So a key problem you face, after getting the MySQL connections to
work, would be to ensure a shared /uploads folder. On Linux we'd
likely use NFS...there must be Windows solutions, but I'm not sure if
these would work on Workstations.

For MySQL, you'd need to ensure:
* The service is listening on the 192.x IP and not just localhost
* There is no Firewalling
* Configure the 2 without MySQL installed as:
settings.database.host = "192.168.1.50"
& correct username/password of course

HOWEVER

I don't think this is the best solution....I think you have a simpler one :)
* Install Eden only on the server
* Ensure that the web server (whether native Rocket or Apache) is
listening on 192.x and not just localhost
e.g. for Rocket this is the -i part here:
http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/04/the-core#Command-line-options
* The 2 additional workstations should simply connect to
http://192.168.1.50 or http://192.168.1.50:8000 depending on your
configuration

I hope this helpful :)

Feel free to write up some docs on this as I'm sure others would find it useful!

Best Wishes,
Fran.

Pat Tressel

May 15, 2014, 5:40:34 AM5/15/14
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Ike!

Running the web server and Eden on all three machines, but MySQL on just one machine, won't be much different from running all of them on just one machine.  Most of the time is spent doing database operations, so you wouldn't get much speed advantage.  And in either case, you'd need to leave the machine chosen to be the server up so long as the others wanted to use it.

If you haven't already set up Apache httpd, it's simpler to just let Web2py use its built-in web server Rocket.

-- Pat

Ike Gaamil

May 19, 2014, 3:52:36 AM5/19/14
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
Still does't work...  CANNOT CONNECT TO MYSQL DATABASE 192.168.1.50:3306/SAHANA

What's the best way of Sharing (client-server) Sahana  in  Windows ?

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Ike Gaamil <ike.g...@gmail.com> wrote:

Forwarded conversation
Subject: SAHANA NETWORK SHARING
------------------------

From: Fran Boon <fr...@sahanafoundation.org>
Date: Thu, May 15, 2014 at 5:03 PM
To: "sahan...@googlegroups.com" <sahan...@googlegroups.com>

----------

Fran Boon

May 19, 2014, 3:57:36 AM5/19/14
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
On 19 May 2014 08:52, Ike Gaamil <ike.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Still does't work... CANNOT CONNECT TO MYSQL DATABASE
> 192.168.1.50:3306/SAHANA

This is a Windows/Networking/MySQL issue, not an Eden issue

> What's the best way of Sharing (client-server) Sahana in Windows ?

If you re-read the mails from myself/Pat, you'll see what we propose
instead of sharing the MySQL DB

Maleeha Khan

May 19, 2014, 10:30:23 AM5/19/14
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Ike Gaamil <ike.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
Still does't work...  CANNOT CONNECT TO MYSQL DATABASE 192.168.1.50:3306/SAHANA

What's the best way of Sharing (client-server) Sahana  in  Windows ?

1. Install Eden, Mysql and Apache on your server machine say (192.168.1.50).
2. Check if you can access Eden in your browser on server machine http://localhost or http://192.168.1.50 or http://192.168.1.50:8000 depending on your configuration.
3. if the above is working the same can be accessed from the client PCs (no need to install eden on the client machines) simply type http://192.168.1.50 or http://192.168.1.50:8000 in your browser on client PCs.

Ike Gaamil

May 20, 2014, 3:14:17 AM5/20/14
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
PROBLEM SOLVED:

What I did ...

PC1- 192.168.1.50 (SERVER)
PC2- 192.168.1.51
PC3- 192.168.1.52

I installed sahana END USER in all 3 pcs...  I change the default setting 127.0.0.1:8000 to 0.0.0.0:8000...
No other configurations I made..
In client pc i run the sahana, and in the browser, i change the the default address 127.0.0.1:8000 to 192.168.1.50:8000
lesson learn :  RUN THE WEB2PY IN ALL PCS TO COMMUNICATE EACH OTHER ...

Sir Fran, Sir Pat and Sir Maleeha  Thank you... in tagalog "SALAMAT"

Ike Gaamil

May 20, 2014, 3:19:28 AM5/20/14
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
and during the intallation it should be 0.0.0.0:8000

Pat Tressel

May 21, 2014, 2:44:40 AM5/21/14
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
Ike --

We still don't know why you want separate installations of Eden on each machine.  If something changes in the code, you will need to update every installation.  If you use a single Eden server, then you only need to update the code in one place.  It really seems that a single installation is easier to maintain.

-- Pat

Fran Boon

May 21, 2014, 2:52:56 AM5/21/14
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
On 20 May 2014 08:14, Ike Gaamil <ike.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
> PROBLEM SOLVED:

Great :)

> What I did ...
> PC1- 192.168.1.50 (SERVER)
> PC2- 192.168.1.51
> PC3- 192.168.1.52
> I installed sahana END USER in all 3 pcs... I change the default setting
> 127.0.0.1:8000 to 0.0.0.0:8000...
> No other configurations I made..
> In client pc i run the sahana, and in the browser, i change the the default
> address 127.0.0.1:8000 to 192.168.1.50:8000

That's what we were suggesting, so good, but note that this means that
you don't actually touch the Eden installs on the 2 client PCs - those
could be uninstalled.

> lesson learn : RUN THE WEB2PY IN ALL PCS TO COMMUNICATE EACH OTHER ...

I think that's wrong actually ;)

> Sir Fran, Sir Pat and Sir Maleeha Thank you... in tagalog "SALAMAT"

Glad you got it working :)

Maleeha Khan

May 21, 2014, 2:53:49 AM5/21/14
to sahan...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Ike Gaamil <ike.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
PROBLEM SOLVED:

What I did ...

PC1- 192.168.1.50 (SERVER)
PC2- 192.168.1.51
PC3- 192.168.1.52

I installed sahana END USER in all 3 pcs...  I change the default setting 127.0.0.1:8000 to 0.0.0.0:8000...
No other configurations I made..
In client pc i run the sahana, and in the browser, i change the the default address 127.0.0.1:8000 to 192.168.1.50:8000
lesson learn :  RUN THE WEB2PY IN ALL PCS TO COMMUNICATE EACH OTHER ...

Even if you don't install Eden on the client PCs and don't run web2py on the client, typing 192.168.1.50:8000 in your browser on the client PC should run Eden from your server.