How to report report incidents? And then, how can actions be taken?

abc def

Apr 6, 2021, 9:24:57 AM4/6/21
to Sahana-Eden
Hello Sahana community!

I downloaded and installed Sahana Eden and added Organisations, facilities, etc. So far, everything good.

Assuming that the purpose of my application is to manage Earthquake disasters and activate organisations to take actions, how can Sahana help me? I did not figure it out.

Example:
- Organisation A (should be informed for all earthquakes)
- Organisation B (should be informed for up to medium earthquakes)
- Organisation C (should be informed only for large earthquakes)

Let's assume we have a medium earthquake and therefore, organisations A & B should be called.

- Where can I report the incident? (I cant find the appropriate form in the platform)
- How should I state which organisations should be called for what types of earthquakes?

Fran Boon

Apr 6, 2021, 9:35:38 AM4/6/21
to Sahana Software Foundation
On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 at 14:25, abc def <weble...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I downloaded and installed Sahana Eden and added Organisations, facilities, etc. So far, everything good.
> Assuming that the purpose of my application is to manage Earthquake disasters and activate organisations to take actions, how can Sahana help me? I did not figure it out.
> Example:
> - Organisation A (should be informed for all earthquakes)
> - Organisation B (should be informed for up to medium earthquakes)
> - Organisation C (should be informed only for large earthquakes)
> Let's assume we have a medium earthquake and therefore, organisations A & B should be called.
> - Where can I report the incident? (I cant find the appropriate form in the platform)

/eden/event/incident_report

The module isn't enabled in the default template, but is easy to enable.
https://github.com/sahana/eden/blob/master/modules/templates/default/config.py#L1438

A better option would probably to use the SaFiRe template for this
use-case though as it is built specifically to support these
workflows.
https://eden.sahanafoundation.org/wiki/BluePrint/SAFIRE

> - How should I state which organisations should be called for what types of earthquakes?

1 option would be to use Scenarios:
/eden/event/scenario
Currently that would need to be done as 1 or more Tasks as direct org
notification isn't currently supported, but would be easy to add.

The other option would be to have the Orgs subscribe to receive
Notifications for Incidents which match the relevant criteria
https://eden.sahanafoundation.org/wiki/S3/Notifications

Best Wishes,
Fran.

Nuwan Waidyanatha

Apr 6, 2021, 3:20:08 PM4/6/21
to Sahana Software Foundation
This sounds more like an 'alerting' or earthquake bulletin dissemination activity more so than an incident reporting activity; is it?

you may want to read these two descriptions to determine which one fits your criteria

Nuwan

Louiqa Raschid

Apr 7, 2021, 2:37:49 AM4/7/21
to Sahana-Eden
Nuwan, The initial post said "activate organizations to take actions" so this does not seem like dissemination of a bulletin.
It sounds more like a workflow with specific pre-assigned responsibilities.
To the original poster -- is this a scenario where you have some experience. If yes perhaps you can come up with a set of
requirements.
Louiqa

Nuwan Waidyanatha

Apr 7, 2021, 10:26:45 AM4/7/21
to Sahana Software Foundation
Louiqa,

SAMBRO was designed not only for disseminating alerts but also for activating emergency first responders - private/restricted closed user groups. SAFIRE is specific for EOCs to manage the specific incidents following an earthquake; for example, a collapsed building. SAFIRE does have features for alerting various resources based on the reported incident. In this example, we may alert SAR, nearby hospitals, public safety, etc to respond to that particular collapsed building incident. SAFIRE has specific workflows that define the sequence of tasks, assigning actual responders, and then for the EOC to manage the tasks, including various reporting requirements.

What I understand from this use case is that they want to simply alert specific public safety and emergency services based on the severity of the earthquake. That way they are aware of the event and can activate their own standard operating procedures (SOPs). Example, for a medium earthquake, whatever that amounts to the MMI scale and the epicenter, the hospitals in a 50km radius may activate to expect casualties and deaths. A large earthquake, given the basin effects, may require hospitals in a 150 Km radius to activate and be prepared. For a large earthquake, the SOP may even require all hospitals within a 50Km  radius to notify off-duty staff to be ready to report to duty.

How this is modeled in SAMBRO is to
1) first develop 3 message templates for small, medium, and large earthquakes:  https://eden.sahanafoundation.org/wiki/UserGuidelines/SAMBRO/Implement#CreateMessageTemplate
3) Thereafter, include the specific organization in the "Address" field in the three templates.

This is a very scalable way for managing this particular use case. However, it may not be intuitive; given that the user guidelines are incomplete.

Then again, I might have misinterpreted the request and what they really want is SAFIRE :-)

Nuwan