Compilation failed

Peter

Oct 3, 2019, 6:32:44 AM10/3/19
to sagittarius-scheme
I'm trying, and failing, to install Sagittarius on Ubuntu 18.04.

I have attached the CMakeError.log file for 0.9.6

Version 0.9.6: when I run cmake . I get an error about SSL

-- OpenSSL lib dir /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
-- OpenSSL ssl lib: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so
-- OpenSSL crypto lib: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so
CMake Error at ext/CMakeLists.txt:110 (MESSAGE):
  No SSL provider found.  Please install OpenSSL

Version 0.9.5: when I run cmake . it finds openssl! but fails

CMake Error at src/CMakeLists.txt:107 (ADD_LIBRARY):
  Cannot find source file:

    lib_core.c

  Tried extensions .c .C .c++ .cc .cpp .cxx .m .M .mm .h .hh .h++ .hm .hpp
  .hxx .in .txx

I have the three named dependencies installed. I also have libssl-dev. I even separately compiled installed OpenSSL, but 0.9.6 still complained OpenSSL is not found.

For version 0.9.6, the CMakeError.log reports that openssl/ssl.h is not found - it is in /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h

For version 0.9.5, I don't know what lib_core.c might be.

Do you have any suggestions for libraries or settings I am missing?

CMakeError.log

Takashi Kato

Oct 3, 2019, 11:03:38 AM10/3/19
to sagittarius-scheme
The first one is about the OpenSSL header (i.e openssl/ssl.h) is missing.
So, maybe you forgot to install openssl-dev (not sure if this was the apt
package name for OpenSSL development).

The second one seems you are trying to build from the repository. In that
case, you need to run the `dist.sh` with `gen` option. The 'Building from
repository' section of the top page of Wiki may help you.

If you have further question, feel free to ask :)

Cheers,
Takashi

Amirouche Boubekki

Oct 3, 2019, 3:20:32 PM10/3/19
to Takashi Kato, sagittarius-scheme
>> I have the three named dependencies installed. I also have libssl-dev. I even separately compiled installed OpenSSL, but 0.9.6 still complained OpenSSL is not found.
>>

>> For version 0.9.6, the CMakeError.log reports that openssl/ssl.h is not found - it is in /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h
>>
>> For version 0.9.5, I don't know what lib_core.c might be.
>>

>> Do you have any suggestions for libraries or settings I am missing?

FWIW, here is the dockerfile for debian buster:
https://github.com/weinholt/scheme-docker/blob/sagittarius/sagittarius/0.9.x/Dockerfile

Peter

Oct 3, 2019, 3:21:30 PM10/3/19
to sagittarius-scheme

On Thursday, 3 October 2019 16:03:38 UTC+1, Takashi Kato wrote:
The first one is about the OpenSSL header (i.e openssl/ssl.h) is missing.
So, maybe you forgot to install openssl-dev (not sure if this was the apt
package name for OpenSSL development).

Solved it! I had just written a message saying I was giving up, but found a clue in my last search.
Apparently what you have to do is

> rm CMakeCache.txt

before you run cmake again.

(It seems I had got the error about OpenSSL, installed libssl-dev, but, without clearing the cache, cmake did not notice the change???)

Takashi Kato

Oct 3, 2019, 4:34:13 PM10/3/19
to sagittarius-scheme

(It seems I had got the error about OpenSSL, installed libssl-dev, but, without clearing the cache, cmake did not notice the change???)
Aha, I've experienced similar issue recently (my case was updating xcode then cmake couldn't find the compiler).
This could be a common pitfall of the building process. I'll put some notes on the Wiki.