Differences between Boxee Box and Boxee PC clients

Tom Miranda

Aug 13, 2011, 12:37:04 PM8/13/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
This thread is to document the differences between running the app on the Boxee Box and a PC client version of Boxee.

First big difference is how python import statements are handled inside an <onload> tag.  When running on a software client you can put several import statements in a row:

import x
import y
import x

In the Boxee Box environment you must put all of the import statements on one line:

import x,y,z

David Hamann

Aug 13, 2011, 1:00:20 PM8/13/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
will the software client accept the "import x,y,z" syntax?  If so, maybe we need to start creating a standards document and make that entry number 1

Tom Miranda

Aug 13, 2011, 1:17:48 PM8/13/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Software client works fine with import x,y,z so we should all use that format.

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 1:00 PM, David Hamann <dha...@gmail.com> wrote:
will the software client accept the "import x,y,z" syntax?  If so, maybe we need to start creating a standards document and make that entry number 1

Tom Miranda

Aug 14, 2011, 1:24:09 PM8/14/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
When specifying .png files in the <texture> tag the PC client doesn't care about capitalization, but the Boxee Box does.

Tom Miranda

Aug 14, 2011, 1:32:30 PM8/14/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
<shadowcolor> renders differently on a PC client vs. the Box.  On the PC client it looks a bit shaded.  On the Box it becomes unreadable.

Tom Miranda

Aug 14, 2011, 1:34:05 PM8/14/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Within a button control the absence of <focusedcolor> causes the text to be rendered differently on a PC client vs. a Box.  Always use <focusedcolor> to ensure it looks correct on both platforms.

David Hamann

Aug 14, 2011, 3:18:13 PM8/14/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
That makes sense, since windows is the only OS I know of that doesn't have case sensitive file names

Tom Miranda

Aug 27, 2011, 10:25:21 AM8/27/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Using the PC client it is usually not necessary to specify the <height> tag in various controls.  The Boxee Box is a lot less forgiving and often doesn't render things properly if the <height> tag is missing.

Always use the <height> tag in all controls.