Introduction of Build Script (Please Read Carefully)

Derek Battams

Jul 26, 2011, 12:11:24 PM7/26/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
To build an app zip for the repository, it must be signable by Boxee and for that, the <test-app> tag has to be removed from the descriptor file.  But to run the app in a dev mode, you need the tag in the descriptor.  So, I've created a build environment for the app, which easily allows the building of the test/dev version of the zip file and a production version.  The build process will probably be tweaked still, but I am delivering it now so I can continue working on the app repository.

There are some key changes introduced here:

  • The version.py file is now being generated at build time; you can no longer just copy the contents of the com.googlecode.sagetvboxee.SageBoxee dir and run it as an app!
  • To build the latest and greatest version of the app, you must setup the build env, build a zip file, then unzip the zip file in your Boxee apps dir.
  • All the details on how to build are here: http://code.google.com/p/sagetv-boxee/wiki/HowToBuildApp
I've hopefully made the build process as easy as possible.  It shouldn't take anyone longer than 10 minutes to prep the build env and once you do, it's just a matter of running ant as needed to create the zip file.  Feedback welcomed.

I plan on delivering this to svn over my lunch break, if I have time.  If not, it'll probably be around 17:00 EDT.

  - Derek

Daniel Kohler

Jul 26, 2011, 12:34:00 PM7/26/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Good work on this Derek, guess there's a lot to it, eh?  So in this setup, where exactly will the repository live?  I think it might be worth taking a look at the Navi-X project on Google Code if you haven't already.  They're directory structure is pretty easy to understand.

Daniel Kohler

Jul 26, 2011, 1:54:30 PM7/26/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Never mind, was thinking that the repo directory in the project was related to SVN.  Once I realized it is the Boxee app repository, it made more sense.  I guess the only thing I notice is the Navi-X project is that their application directory has a normal name, unlike our com.googlecode....

-Dan

Karl Ricker

Aug 11, 2011, 11:31:05 AM8/11/11
to SageTV for Boxee (Development)
To run the latest version just for myself, can I stop after the
building and skip uploading it to the repository?

On Jul 26, 12:11 pm, Derek Battams <de...@battams.ca> wrote:
> To build an app zip for the repository, it must be signable by Boxee and for
> that, the <test-app> tag has to be removed from the descriptor file.  But to
> run the app in a dev mode, you need the tag in the descriptor.  So, I've
> created a build environment for the app, which easily allows the building of
> the test/dev version of the zip file and a production version.  The build
> process will probably be tweaked still, but I am delivering it now so I can
> continue working on the app repository.
>
> There are some key changes introduced here:
>
>    - The version.py file is now being generated at build time; *you can no
>    longer just copy the contents of the com.googlecode.sagetvboxee.SageBoxee
>    dir and run it as an app!*
>    - To build the latest and greatest version of the app, you must setup the
>    build env, build a zip file, then unzip the zip file in your Boxee apps dir.
>    - All the details on how to build are here:

Michael Reid

Aug 11, 2011, 11:37:48 AM8/11/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
responded to Karl in IM.