Priorities

Tom Miranda

Sep 25, 2011, 7:30:43 PM9/25/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Ladies and Gents,

I'd like to get a feel for what items you feel are most important to work on.  Current status as I see it:

  • The recordings window is about done.  I recently added the ability to sort episodes (filtering was added some time ago) and I think grouping is a low priority item.
  • The Favorites manager is about done.  Brian is putting the finishing touches on the advanced options.
  • Recordings schedule is done.
  • Past/Future Airings is done.
  • EPG is functional, but slow.  Getting it to go faster will take a big chunk of work.  I'd like to make navigation easier so you can jump ahead a day at a time or at least several hours at a time, and you can navigate up and down channels easier.
  • Live TV won't work until we get a fix for the Boxee firmware.

There are several outstanding issues (fanart not displaying, accepting null jetty credentials, etc) but none of these are show stoppers.

So where do you think we should be putting our effort?
  • Recruit more testers and fix as many bugs as possible?
  • Conflicts Manager?
  • Airing/MediaFile Details window?
  • Someplace else?

Darci Hanning

Sep 25, 2011, 7:35:56 PM9/25/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Regarding the EPG, when you get around to working on it again, I'd like to be able to enter a channel number to jump to (I think I've tried this and it didn't work). My HD channels start at 500 :p so there's no way that even paging down is acceptable in the long run :)

I'd like to see Airing/MediaFile Details window working too...

Just my $0.02 worth at this point :)

Cheers,
Darci

Tom Miranda

Sep 25, 2011, 9:05:52 PM9/25/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
I'm also thinking better EPG navigation is a high priority.  I'm not sure the best way to implement it since there are only 5 keystrokes we can act on.  Up, Down, Right and Left do obvious things so we're left with the Select key.  I'm thinking of adding an option to the dialog that appears after pressing select to allow navigation but then it will still take several keystrokes to do anything.

Any other suggestions?

Tom Miranda

Sep 26, 2011, 9:27:54 PM9/26/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Darci,

If you have a chance grab rev 227 from the repository, go to the EPG, select an airing, then select "EPG Navigation".  Let me know what you think of this idea.

Darci Hanning

Sep 26, 2011, 10:04:04 PM9/26/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Will do, just got home, give me 30mins...

Darci Hanning

Sep 26, 2011, 10:21:13 PM9/26/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

That is pretty darn nifty! I like it!

Now... just add a place to enter a channel number to jump to and I'll be in heaven :)

Cheers!

Tom Miranda

Sep 27, 2011, 7:34:22 PM9/27/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
I hope entering a channel name will send you to heaven because that's in r130. :)  Just select "Channel" and a dialog pops up that accepts a channel name.  I'll see what I can do to make it accept numbers as well.

Darci Hanning

Sep 27, 2011, 7:36:49 PM9/27/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Oh, lord, I will definitely need numbers -- I haven't a clue as to what channels are actually called! :D

Tom Miranda

Sep 27, 2011, 7:50:37 PM9/27/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Added to r231 :)

Darci Hanning

Sep 27, 2011, 9:52:58 PM9/27/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Yummy! Will try it out shortly! :)

Cheers,

Darci Hanning

Sep 27, 2011, 10:30:20 PM9/27/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Tom!

This is GLORIOUS! And I AM in heaven! Nicely done!

Cheers,

Darci Hanning

Sep 28, 2011, 10:29:43 AM9/28/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
One minor enhancement request for the channel number entry: my line up skips over channel numbers and really, my HD channels begin at #502; however, out of habit, I usually enter #500 and on SageTV clients, it just jumps to the next real/available channel up.

On the Boxee app, I get an invalid channel number when I enter #500 but I'd rather get the next available channel (#502) ;) HOWEVER, this is not a deal break, just a very nice to have.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Tom Miranda

Sep 28, 2011, 5:00:40 PM9/28/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Glad you like it.

I'll have to think about how to change the behavior to jump to the nearest channel.  For "normal" numbers that will be easy, I'm just not sure how hard it will be to handle channel numbers with hyphens and dashes in them.  (Many HD channels are in the format XXX-XX or XXX.XX).  It's not really hard, but it's a lot of work to parse the strings.

Darci Hanning

Sep 28, 2011, 5:55:30 PM9/28/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Ah, gotcha -- all my channel numbers (via an HD set top box) are nicely behaved numbers ;-)

I wouldn't sweat it -- the way it works now is perfectly fine!

Cheers,
Darci