Status 8/16/2011 - Who needs help?

Tom Miranda

Aug 16, 2011, 6:45:03 PM8/16/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Gents,

I'd like to get an update from you, the progress you are making, and where you need help.  I'd like it if we were in the position to make another build in the near future.  Can you all please provide and update?  (And let me know if I've left something/someone out or made any mistakes below.)

Brian S - Working on EPG actions.

Mike R - Working on Favorites

David H - Working on episode options for the recordings window and Record options. (BTW - I plan on using the record options dialog in the recording schedule window.)

Karl R - I think you completed the enhancements to the recordings window.  Do you want to work on visual improvements on the EPG and recording schedule?

Tom M - I've got a working version of the EPG and the recording schedule in svn.  The thumbnail area (upper right corner) of each of these menus needs work.  I also plan on adding some initial checks when the app starts to make sure the correct version of sagex and jetty is installed, and I plan on writing a dialog that can be used to display error messages if an internal error occurs.  (Then I'll also have to update the various python routines to catch exceptions.)

The things on my plate are not critical so if anybody needs help please let me know.

Tom

Brian Schneider

Aug 16, 2011, 7:38:39 PM8/16/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Tom - I'm having trouble checking in to the SVN... can you merge in the attached files for me (has start and cancel recording ability in EPG dialog)?

I get the following error in tortoisesvn when I try to commit:

Commit failed (details follow):
Server sent unexpected return value (405 Method Not Allowed) in response to
MKACTIVITY request for '/svn/!svn/act/481cc636-3497-944c-a75a-a49987247d1f'
epg.py
epg.xml
epg_options_show.xml

Tom Miranda

Aug 16, 2011, 7:59:09 PM8/16/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
No problem.  How recent were the epg.xml, epg.py and epg_options_show.xml files that you started with?

Brian Schneider

Aug 16, 2011, 8:11:02 PM8/16/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
I used r103 as basis

David Hamann

Aug 16, 2011, 8:40:09 PM8/16/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
I had a similar problem, and it turned out that I had to change to HTTPS to get checkins to work

Michael Reid

Aug 16, 2011, 8:48:03 PM8/16/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Derek - Is it possible to modify the sagex apis that you created in particular GetFavorites($filter)  to include a sorting parameter?  What i would like to do is continue to use the filtering mechanism to get the favorites info, but i also want to be able to sort the initial list on favorite priority.  Tom mentioned to me that he found a way to sort by FavoritePriority, but it didnt' work with the new custom GetFavorites(filter) method.

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 7:40 PM, David Hamann <dha...@gmail.com> wrote:
I had a similar problem, and it turned out that I had to change to HTTPS to get checkins to work

~Mike

Brian Schneider

Aug 16, 2011, 8:56:44 PM8/16/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Tom - ignore the request... David's trick to use https vs. http worked!.... I was able to checkin as r104... no further action needed from you... but now we can start/cancel recordings via the EPG screen!

Next step for me is to get Watch Now working on the EPG for live tv (e.g. click watch now, start recording, get mediafileid of recording, get playback location, then play it back live).

Tom Miranda

Aug 16, 2011, 9:04:34 PM8/16/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Great.

Karl Ricker

Aug 16, 2011, 9:16:17 PM8/16/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Sure. If the basic bones are in place, I can start looking at it. For what it's worth, I am about to get real busy with work for the next week or so. I may drift in and out during that time. I will try to stay focused and get some things done.

Derek Battams

Aug 16, 2011, 9:56:40 PM8/16/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
To sort by fav priority, do this:

expr = 'Sort(GetFavorites(), false, "FavoritePriority")'
favsObject = sageAPI.EvaluateExpression(expr, filter='FavoriteDescription')
Now favsObject is the array of all favs, ordered by fav priority, and only containing the FavoriteDescription property in each object.

  - Derek

Michael Reid

Aug 16, 2011, 10:11:45 PM8/16/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Derek, that did the trick nicely!
--
~Mike

Brian Schneider

Aug 16, 2011, 10:17:37 PM8/16/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Tom/Derek - I have something I could use your help with.  Is there a method or something you can write or advise me on that would take an Airing object (ListItem) and returns a MediaFile object somehow?  e.g. what I'm trying to do is I have an airing object before starting a recording, but once I start the recording, I want to return the corresponding MediaFile object for the recording I just started.

And then I can take action on the MediaFile object and do things like play it, etc.

Thoughts?

Derek Battams

Aug 16, 2011, 10:25:04 PM8/16/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
# item is a ListItem that wraps a Sage Airing
sageAPI.Record(item) # ignore the exception, I've talked to Sean and a fix is coming for this
mf = sageAPI.GetMediaFileForAiring(item)

# mf is now the media file associated with the airing wrapped by item

There is a gotcha here, though... it is likely you'd need to sleep for 0.5-1.5 seconds after calling Record() before you'd actually get a non-null response to the GetMediaFileForAiring() call.  I'd definitely sleep for at least a half second (you'll have to experiment because you may need longer).

Anyway, the point here is that there is a Sage API call to get the MediaFile object for an Airing, which means you can simply make the call through the sageAPI object:

Brian Schneider

Aug 16, 2011, 11:01:01 PM8/16/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
getting warmer... got that working... now when i go to use the player.Play function in boxee to play the mediafile, it seems to be expecting a boxee mediafile object vs. a dictionary object.  how would i convert the mediafile dictionary object that i got from the GetMediaFileForAiring sage API call into a mediafile that Boxee can then play?

Derek Battams

Aug 16, 2011, 11:32:27 PM8/16/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
From recordings.py:

recordings.mediaFileToListItem(mediaFile)

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 23:01, Brian Schneider <lehi...@gmail.com> wrote:
getting warmer... got that working... now when i go to use the player.Play function in boxee to play the mediafile, it seems to be expecting a boxee mediafile object vs. a dictionary object.  how would i convert the mediafile dictionary object that i got from the GetMediaFileForAiring sage API call into a mediafile that Boxee can then play?

David Hamann

Aug 17, 2011, 12:51:29 AM8/17/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
I am expecting to check-in a recording options dialog tomorrow night.  I'm still thinking through how to modify the number and behavior of the buttons on the fly.
Message has been deleted

Brian Schneider

Aug 17, 2011, 6:19:59 AM8/17/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Derek.  I just checked in r108 where I added "watch now" functionality to the EPG (I haven't been able to confirm though as I don't have a boxee box, but in reading the logs, things seem to work OK)

Can someone with a Boxee Box try this out and see if it works?  Simply click an airing on the EPG that is not yet recording and click Watch Now.  It should start the recording, then play the media file in the Boxee Player.  I'll need to clean some things up but let me know what happens.

Tom Miranda

Aug 17, 2011, 6:35:38 PM8/17/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Not working :(   See my updates.

On the PC Client it almost works, but fails because it can't play growing files.  On the BB it never gets a valid MediaFile.  I'll be testing more to see if I can figure it out.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 6:19 AM, Brian Schneider <lehi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Derek.  I just checked in r108 where I added "watch now" functionality to the EPG (I haven't been able to confirm though as I don't have a boxee box, but in reading the logs, things seem to work OK)

Can someone with a Boxee Box try this out and see if it works?  Simply click an airing on the EPG that is not yet recording and click Watch Now.  It should start the recording, then play the media file in the Boxee Player.  I'll need to clean some things up but let me know what happens.

Darci Hanning

Aug 17, 2011, 6:46:14 PM8/17/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Tom, it sounds like your Boxee Box has been updated to 1.2? If so, you're now running into the permission/SMB issue that I had you submit a bug for:

http://jira.boxee.tv/browse/BOXEE-10848

I'm not sure where your recordings are stored but my work around was to enable "guest" access for the top level folder on my WHS (eg. \\server\videos) without a password. Once I did that, I could play items (stored on \\server\videos\sagetv) via the SageTV app.

Let me know if you want pointers on how to downgrade to the final 1.1 version and prevent updates.

I'll continue running v1.2 and working with Boxee to get this resolved.

Cheers,
Darci

Tom Miranda

Aug 17, 2011, 8:52:35 PM8/17/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
I don't think so.  It still plays recordings via smb.

Darci Hanning

Aug 17, 2011, 9:30:17 PM8/17/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Hrm... well, I may be able to test here tonight as well..

(Can you start a recording, or find an active one, via SageTV proper and navigate to that from Boxee and play it?)

Tom Miranda

Aug 17, 2011, 10:12:47 PM8/17/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
My time is very limited tonight.  It will have to wait, sorry.

David Hamann

Aug 18, 2011, 9:40:42 PM8/18/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
I thought I'd have something last night, but I took some allergy medicine, and a half hour later I was out cold.  If my eyes don't get itchy tonight, I'll get the recording dialog added to SVN.

Michael Reid

Aug 18, 2011, 11:14:28 PM8/18/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Derek - If you have some time i could use some help on something with the favorites screen,  so far i have the following working

1) click on favorites
2) populate a list of actionable items on the page which have favoritetitle and favoriteid tied to them
3) click on a favorite
4) launch favorite details screen and pass favorite id to it
5) grab favorite id from the parms and call GetFavoriteForID using the FavID from the previous window.

What i need help with is this:

i need to take the object returned and put it into a single item with properties so that i can reference the individual items on the screen.  I can't have it returned in a list as i am going to use seperate buttons for each of the favorite properties.  ideally i would like to be able to set the labels of the buttons with Item.Property[custom:'FavoritePerson']. for example

i am open to other solutions... like if you think a list of buttons would be more appropriate.

Do you think you could help with this?  Tom and I have created a seperate python file called favorites.py which i can include this new function in.  Attached are screens of whats working so far.  right now i pass favoriteid and favorite title.

Thanks!
fav1.jpg
fav2.jpg

Derek Battams

Aug 18, 2011, 11:46:59 PM8/18/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
So here's what I suggest:

Grab the favourite object from the server via an API call.  Filter the object so it only includes the props you'll need.  What I'll do is write a generic method (probably in sage.py) that will simply take all the props in a dictionary and shove them into a ListItem as custom properties.  For this reason, it's very important that you filter the object to only include the data you need.

Also, ListItem props are string keys with string values only so I'll simply be shoving the str(val) into the property value so if you include complex properties then they may not be stored in the ListItem as expected (strings and numbers will be fine, except that numbers are stored as string values in ListItem objects).

If this will work for you let me know and I'll write it Saturday morning before I head out for the day.

  - Derek

Michael Reid

Aug 19, 2011, 9:22:02 AM8/19/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
That sounds like it could work...Is it possible for me to filter GetFavoriteForID in a similiar fashion that i filter GetFavorites(Filter)?

Also if there are properties which are their own object rather than a key value paor, how would this be handled?
--
~Mike

Derek Battams

Aug 19, 2011, 9:57:40 AM8/19/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, the filter works for any API call that returns an object.

If a prop is an object itself, well that's where you run into problems.  ListItem objects only support string values for custom properties.  So basically I'd just serialize the object and put it in the ListItem - you'd have to unserialize it back into a python dictionary as needed.

  - Derek

Brian Schneider

Aug 19, 2011, 10:20:17 AM8/19/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Tom - do we want to re-group and talk about what's next, what's left, what's in-flight, what needs support, etc?  I know there's some refinement we can do to the EPG airing options dialog, but I'm holding off until the favorites screen and methods are complete.

The things on the top of my mind include:
1. Improving performance of the EPG (takes ~10 seconds for my EPG screen guide to load)
2. Adding favorites support (which I know Michael is diligently working on)
3. Getting logo support to work (is that not working due to a Boxee PC client limitation or something else?)
4. Low priority, but eventually adding conflict management support (e.g. conflict check when you click "Record", but then also adding a new screen to manage the conflicts)

Tom Miranda

Aug 19, 2011, 5:04:12 PM8/19/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
I agree completely.  In general we need a better way to co-ordinate our activities.  I'm forever forgetting the various status of things mainly because we're not all that well organized.  I'm open to suggestions on how to keep things straight.

Regarding your specific comments:

1. Improving performance of the EPG (takes ~10 seconds for my EPG screen guide to load) - Agree totally, and I know how to do it.  We just need to rewrite the method to get the favorites using the filter= option in the EvaluateExpression() call.  The trick will be to carefully examine the code to determine exactly which fields are needed and which are not.  Best bet here is to open a ticket then whoever wants to take it on can accept ownership.

2. Adding favorites support (which I know Michael is diligently working on) - Yes.

3. Getting logo support to work (is that not working due to a Boxee PC client limitation or something else?) It will never work on the PC due to Boxee limitations.  It should be working on the Box.

4. Low priority, but eventually adding conflict management support (e.g. conflict check when you click "Record", but then also adding a new screen to manage the conflicts) - Agreed, but this is going to be difficult.  For now I suggest we keep it simple and focus on the basics.  If however you have the desire to take this on, go for it.

Derek Battams

Aug 19, 2011, 5:17:10 PM8/19/11
On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 17:04, Tom Miranda <tom.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
I agree completely.  In general we need a better way to co-ordinate our activities.  I'm forever forgetting the various status of things mainly because we're not all that well organized.  I'm open to suggestions on how to keep things straight.

I recommend issue tickets in the project.  Anyone working on something should have an issue ticket describing the bug/enhancement they're working on and keep it up to date with comments as much as possible.  Anyone wanting to know who's doing what should be able to view the list of open tickets and get an easy view of what's being worked on.

Anything that needs to be done should have a ticket opened.  If someone is looking for something to do they should be able to go to the list of open tickets and grab one that is currently unassigned and assign it to themselves and then work on it.

The issue tracker should be more than sufficient for keeping track of what's going on - as long as everyone embraces it and makes use of it.  As we're starting to see, the alternative is a little chaotic.

  - Derek

Tom Miranda

Aug 19, 2011, 5:22:28 PM8/19/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me.

Michael Reid

Aug 19, 2011, 10:41:17 PM8/19/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
+1 on the tickets

David Hamann

Aug 19, 2011, 11:13:26 PM8/19/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
I've added a task for the one thing I'm working on.  I'm way behind when I committed to having it done, but I'm back on track and have time to work on it this weekend.

Michael Reid

Aug 19, 2011, 11:22:54 PM8/19/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to have to add a task as well.  While I'm making good progress I feel as though I am behind what I committed to.  This weekend I have a bachelor party then next weekend is the wedding.  My dev time during the week is limited to about 2 hrs tops a night.  Oh yeah I forgot that the weekend after the wedding I will be leaving the country for 7 days...

I'm def going to need some help for whoever is interested.

~Mike

On Aug 19, 2011, at 10:13 PM, David Hamann <dha...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've added a task for the one thing I'm working on.  I'm way behind when I committed to having it done, but I'm back on track and have time to work on it this weekend.

Brian Schneider

Aug 20, 2011, 8:34:04 AM8/20/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tom - check out issue #33 which I just added... this has an impact to your recording schedule, but I think it's the right thing to do.  I can start working on it now, but given that screen plus the future airings screen are so similar, we should consolidate into one xml.

Tom Miranda

Aug 20, 2011, 8:38:16 AM8/20/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Answered in the ticket.  Good idea!

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Brian Schneider <lehi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Tom - check out issue #33 which I just added... this has an impact to your recording schedule, but I think it's the right thing to do.  I can start working on it now, but given that screen plus the future airings screen are so similar, we should consolidate into one xml.

Brian Schneider

Aug 20, 2011, 9:10:49 AM8/20/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Done... fixed this in r115.  Feel free to continue to refine the look/feel, but now we have one common "airings" screen that we can show all sorts of lists depending on what's needed.

Tom Miranda

Aug 20, 2011, 9:25:15 PM8/20/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

Can you do the same thing to recordings_episode_options.xml so we can use the same dialog for the recording schedule, future airings, and past airings as well as current recordings?

Let me know,

Tom

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Brian Schneider <lehi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Done... fixed this in r115.  Feel free to continue to refine the look/feel, but now we have one common "airings" screen that we can show all sorts of lists depending on what's needed.

Michael Reid

Aug 24, 2011, 9:37:07 PM8/24/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone explain to me the difference between the following:

IsFirstRunsAndReRuns
IsFirstRunsOnly
IsReRunsOnly
IsFirstRuns
IsReRuns

From the looks of it the ui for favofites in native sage only lets you pick
First Runs
ReRuns
First Runs & ReRuns

not sure why or where the other 2 come into play.

Tom Miranda

Aug 24, 2011, 9:50:29 PM8/24/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
When you setup the favorite you can choose to record first runs only, re-runs only or either (the second group of methods you listed).  The "Is" methods lets you test which will get recorded.  Don't confuse setting up the favorite with testing conditions about the Favorite.

Michael Reid

Aug 24, 2011, 10:31:53 PM8/24/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
not 100% sure what you mean by that but i have to stop for the night.  here is a pick of how its coming along.  I am trying to get the favorite and current favorite details populated on the screen and working to the point where i can pass it off.  I will have this working shortly, and will then post the code for someone to help with.

i won't be able to get to this until saturday or sunday unfortunately.. tomorrow i have a rehersal dinner, then friday is the wedding, saturday is recovery.
fav3.jpg

Michael Reid

Aug 24, 2011, 10:32:37 PM8/24/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
The styling is poor to say the least, but i figured that Karl or someone more flashy gui savy could take care of that.  currently the items on the left are clickable buttons, but nothing happens at the moment.

David Hamann

Aug 29, 2011, 11:57:32 PM8/29/11
to sagetv-b...@googlegroups.com
Everytime I try to get back into working on this, something seems to come up at work!  It looks like the next couple weeks I'm going to be coding for work in the evenings to get a poorly managed project back on track.

I did get a chance to run what's in svn the other day, and it's looking good.  Maybe I'll try to take on defect 20, since it's very low priority and I can do it between builds at work since I can make those changes right in the browser...