Tuesday Meeting

Robert Beezer

Jun 12, 2012, 12:44:25 AM6/12/12
to saged...@googlegroups.com
Tuesday we plan to meet at PACCAR 394 again.  William will bring morning snacks at about 10 AM, but feel free to congregate earlier.  If we have to move elsewhere it will be announced here and perhaps posted to the wiki page.

If you are participating remotely, there is some video from today posted on the wiki page as part of the schedule.

Rob

Jonathan

Jun 12, 2012, 1:22:57 AM6/12/12
to saged...@googlegroups.com
As a remote participant I have a few comments:
1) Thank you for posting the videos.
2)  I hope to have some time to get onto the Chat tomorrow, (probably afternoon).
3) Those of you working on the notebook please check out the status of enhancements to Jmol that are ready to go into the flask notebook.  See trac #12299 (http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/12299) and an example server running at http://gutow.no-ip.org:8080/  .  Just create an account and try it.  I still think there may be some problems with the switching to a signed applet to download the 3-D data, but I haven't been able to reproduce it.  Anybody who does find problems please report them.
4) As to switching to pure js for the 3-D rendering, I think that may work for images of limited size, but somebody needs to write the code to handle what you want to do.  The Jmol project is working on pure js alternatives for web pages.  It is working OK for object based images  (collections of spheres) without too many objects, but there is no effective implementation of surfaces yet.  I would guess something workable is 1-3 years out.

Jonathan