thank you

1 view

William Stein

Sep 25, 2011, 2:23:56 PM9/25/11
to saged...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I want to send a little "thank you package" (probably in the form of a
pdf report) to the two generous people who funded Sage Days 33 (this
workshop was not NSF funded, but donor-funded). It would be really
helpful if you could send me a short email mentioning something about
what you worked on, and what you liked about the workshop.

Thanks!

-- William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics

Katherine Stange

Sep 25, 2011, 2:55:28 PM9/25/11
to saged...@googlegroups.com
Hi William,

The members of my group are still excited about finishing their
projects even though sage days has ended. When it started, three of
the members in my group had no developing experience, but now they'll
each have contributed significant elliptic curves code. In fact, our
group is partway through an ambitious patch to add singular
weierstrass cubics to sage, implementing appropriate functionality in
line with elliptic curves: point addition, change of coordinates,
point counting, etc. Other projects are making improvements to the
code for minimal weierstrass equations, not to mention a few bugs
found and other minor improvements made.

This sage days was particularly productive for me, and also
particularly fun. I think the lodge atmosphere was ideal for a sage
days. I liked the spare schedule, devoted mostly to working and not
much to attending scheduled events. After my first sage days, I still
didn't feel qualified to develop, but after this one I'm sure I'll be
quick to take on a bug which bothers me or a feature that's missing.
That means Sage is twice as valuable to me as a research tool now.

Best,
Kate.

Katherine Stange
Department of Mathematics ~ Stanford University
( 450 Serra Mall,  Building 380, Stanford, CA 94305 )
math: http://math.stanford.edu/~stange/
photos: http://pixel.katestange.net/

William Stein

Sep 26, 2011, 7:26:28 PM9/26/11
to saged...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Thanks for all the feedback.  I've written a report for the funders:

http://wstein.org/home/wstein/days/33/report.pdf

 -- William