Swinnerton-Dyer polynomials

1 view

William Stein

Jul 13, 2010, 7:09:44 PM7/13/10
to sagedays23
Hi,

What happened with the Swinnerton-Dyer polynomials project? That
seemed like a no brainer to get some code into Sage. There was no
trac ticket for it, so I just made one:

I then thought of and implemented an interval arithmetic based
algorithm that is very fast.
I also did some benchmarks of Mathematica and Magma.

Please -- somebody who wants to get a patch into sage -- finish this!

William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics

Bill Hart

Jul 13, 2010, 7:12:55 PM7/13/10
to saged...@googlegroups.com
Jeroen posted some code here:

http://wiki.sagemath.org/days23/CodingProjects

William Stein

Jul 13, 2010, 7:14:09 PM7/13/10
to saged...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:12 AM, Bill Hart <goodwi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Jeroen posted some code here:
>
> http://wiki.sagemath.org/days23/CodingProjects

The file I attached to the trac ticket includes that code. Also, I
mention that I think using interval arithmetic (1) is faster, and (2)
is provably correct (instead of just heuristic).

William

Bill Hart

Jul 13, 2010, 7:18:41 PM7/13/10
to saged...@googlegroups.com
Cool. I just read the trac ticket now. Looks like Magma is actually
computing them.

I don't know how many applications there are that critically depend on
the speed, but provably correct seems pretty important.

We'll definitely use your code if it goes into Sage!

Bill.