T-Shirt Design

Jamie Weigandt

Jun 26, 2010, 2:06:57 PM6/26/10
to days22
Hey All,

Just looking to get some feedback on the T-Shirt design before I talk to the printers today.

Here is what I'm proposing for the front of the shirt:

http://www.math.purdue.edu/~jweigand/iweb/Home.html

and this for the back:

http://www.math.purdue.edu/~jweigand/diagrams.pdf

I've checked the diagrams for typos but it wouldn't hurt to have more eyes looking.

The general consensus is that people want dark colors, but not dark blue ask this would duplicate a previous Sage shirt. Please vote on a color scheme:

1. White lettering on a dark green background
2. Yellow lettering on a dark red background
3. Green lettering on a black background

Any timely input would be greatly appreciated. I"m planning on seeing the printers in a few hours to make sure we can get the shirts by the end of the workshop.

Best,

Jamie

P.S. if you haven't told me you want a shirt, and what size, this is the time to do so!

Vincent Rusnell

Jun 26, 2010, 2:43:50 PM6/26/10
to saged...@googlegroups.com
I like Green on Black or White on Dark Green. Equal votes for either of the two.

Thanks Jaime
-Vincent-

John Cremona

Jun 26, 2010, 3:01:09 PM6/26/10
to saged...@googlegroups.com
Jamie, you cannot be serious about the front design!

John

Jamie Weigandt

Jun 26, 2010, 3:16:28 PM6/26/10
to sagedays22
Ooops!

Thanks John! I copied the wrong link!

http://www.math.purdue.edu/~jweigand/iweb/days22.html

That's my design for the front. It has the workshop title and a
picture of 389a.

Jamie

On Jun 26, 12:01 pm, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jamie, you cannot be serious about the front design!
>
> John

William Stein

Jun 26, 2010, 3:17:50 PM6/26/10
to saged...@googlegroups.com
Make the points much bigger (use the pointsize option). Make the plot
of the curve higher resolution. Where's the sage code that produced
it?

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics

Robert Bradshaw

Jun 26, 2010, 3:28:14 PM6/26/10
to saged...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps a bit more whitespace between the curve and the text, but
otherwise looks good.

Jamie Weigandt

Jun 26, 2010, 3:52:49 PM6/26/10
to sagedays22
WIlliam,

I've made the points bigger and included the code. How do I tell Sage
to plot more points on the curve?

http://www.math.purdue.edu/~jweigand/iweb/days22.html

Jamie

Robert Bradshaw

Jun 26, 2010, 4:14:25 PM6/26/10
to saged...@googlegroups.com
How about plotting the integral points?

xmax = 4.1
E = EllipticCurve('389a')
img = E.plot(xmax=xmax)
for P in E.integral_points(both_signs=True):
if P[0] <= xmax:
img += P.plot(pointsize=20)
else:
print P
img.show()

Jamie Weigandt

Jun 26, 2010, 4:22:15 PM6/26/10
to sagedays22
Robert,

I think I just want to show the 2 points, to emphasize rank 2.

My question about plotting more points was aimed at fixing the kink
that appears in the curve at the 2-torsion points.

Robert Bradshaw

Jun 26, 2010, 4:25:50 PM6/26/10
to saged...@googlegroups.com
On Jun 26, 2010, at 1:22 PM, Jamie Weigandt wrote:

> Robert,
>
> I think I just want to show the 2 points, to emphasize rank 2.

On the other hand, integral points ties in with the back of the shirt,
and (one of) the projects in the workshop.

> My question about plotting more points was aimed at fixing the kink
> that appears in the curve at the 2-torsion points.

Ah, OK. Maybe there's a plotpoints option?

- Robert

sage0.png

Noam Elkies

Jun 26, 2010, 5:21:11 PM6/26/10
to saged...@googlegroups.com
> On the other hand, integral points ties in with the back of the shirt,
> and (one of) the projects in the workshop.

On the third hand, that connection was only for elliptic curves with j=0,
and you don't want to plot *all* the integral points -- the x-coordinates
go (at least) as high as 188...

If you do plot some more points, maybe also (in a lighter color and/or
thinner line-width) the chords and tangents that give relations among
them in the group law?

NDE

ari...@math.umd.edu

Jun 27, 2010, 3:50:07 AM6/27/10
to saged...@googlegroups.com
Are you sure you want to do something as elaborate as this? Cant you do
something simpler?

William Stein

Jun 29, 2010, 4:47:10 PM6/29/10
to saged...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 12:50 AM, <ari...@math.umd.edu> wrote:
> Are you sure you want to do something as elaborate as this? Cant you do
> something simpler?

Hi -- sorry that this took *3 days* to go through. The Google Groups
spam filter caught it, and only informed me of its existence a minute
ago.

William

Jamie Weigandt

Jun 29, 2010, 5:27:18 PM6/29/10
to sagedays22
All,

I just want to make a few announcements about the shirts. I'll try
post these on the wikipage as well.
http://wiki.sagemath.org/days22/shirts

1. The final color scheme was white on dark green. The final design
can be found on the wikipage (see above). I stuck with just showing a
Mordell-Weil basis for simplicity.

2. The shirts will be ready sometime after noon on Thursday so that
they can be distributed Friday morning. If anyone with a car could
give me a ride to the printers and then back to MSRI that would make
things much easier for me. There's a free shirt in it for you.

3. The shirts are $10, please pay in cash on Friday when you receive
your shirt. If you didn't email me ordering a shirt, but still want
one, let me know (and in what size) there will be a limited number of
extras.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the shirts that this
doesn't answer.

Jamie

Lloyd Kilford

Jul 2, 2010, 1:03:50 AM7/2/10
to sagedays22
This is just a note to say that I really like the T-shirt and think
that Jamie did a splendid job of creating and organizing them.

Thanks!

Lloyd.

On 29 June, 22:27, Jamie Weigandt <jamieweiga...@me.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I just want to make a few announcements about the shirts. I'll try
> post these on the wikipage as well.http://wiki.sagemath.org/days22/shirts

William Stein

Jul 2, 2010, 1:06:21 AM7/2/10
to saged...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 10:03 PM, Lloyd Kilford <l.ki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is just a note to say that I really like the T-shirt and think
> that Jamie did a splendid job of creating and organizing them.
>
> Thanks!

I strongly agree!!

William

Justin C. Walker

Jul 2, 2010, 1:11:07 AM7/2/10
to saged...@googlegroups.com

On 1 Jul, 2010, at 10:03 PM, Lloyd Kilford wrote:

This is just a note to say that I really like the T-shirt and think
that Jamie did a splendid job of creating and organizing them.

+1!

Thanks, Jamie!

--

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large

Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income

--------

When LuteFisk is outlawed,

Only outlaws will have LuteFisk

--------