Re: Sage Days 19

William Stein

Jan 4, 2010, 5:40:41 PM1/4/10
to Nils Bruin, sagedays19
On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Nils Bruin <nbr...@cecm.sfu.ca> wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> Happy new year!
>
> Responding to your earlier invitation, I am considering joining you for the
> Saturday and Sunday (16, 17 January). I'll leave Sunday early evening. The
> 18th is not a holiday in Canada, so I'll be teaching then.

Excellent. I've added you to the wiki:

http://wiki.sagemath.org/daysbug2#

> I can either drive down on the Thursday, Friday or Saturday, depending on
> how much is happening (if you start early on the Saturday, then driving down
> Friday night makes sense).

We are going to start seriously early on Saturday. (I'm flying up
from San Francisco Friday night).

> I would hope it's feasible to get the transition to
> Maxima-interfacing-via-strings-in-ecl-as-a-library considerably under way.
> Do you have people attending who would be knowledgable and willing in
> getting that off the ground?

Yes:

* me
* Mike Hansen
* Burcin Erocal
* Robert Bradshaw

In fact, that's almost everybody really involved with the core
symbolics implementation.

> For accommodation:
>  - Alexa is considering coming down as well. You could try to pick her brain
> on differential rings, which she implemented in Magma, but her main goal
> would be shopping. Would you happen to have a whole spare room left?

Yes, especially because Nick Alexander just canceled. The current list is:

* People sleeping at Shuey (6 rooms; ~10 beds):

Room 1: Arthur Gaer (own room),
Room 2: Mike Hansen (+1, so own room),
Room 3: Willem Jan Palenstijn + Burcin Erocal
Room 4: Jason Grout + Tim Dumol
Room 5: Sebastian Pancratz
Room 6:

So we could easily put you and Alexa in room 6.

>  - In case Alexa is not coming, do you have a bed left in the mansion?
> (otherwise I'll just book a hotel - recommendations welcome. Do you have
> spare funding to reimburse or should I just pick up the bill myself?)

Please take a room in the mansion.

> Border documents: Last time I visited Microsoft, USBorder made it very clear
> to me that if I am travelling to the States for business I should have
> documentation that unambiguously makes it clear that I am *not* being paid
> (he made it sound like I was very close to being denied entry). I hope the
> UW math department knows what phrasing to use to satisfy them. Would you be
> able to provide a letter of invitation for Sage Days 19 that states that I
> will not be paid out of US sources for my visit ? Email should be fine.

Yes.

William

Burcin Erocal

Jan 4, 2010, 7:45:05 PM1/4/10
to Nils Bruin, saged...@googlegroups.com, wst...@gmail.com
Hi,

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 14:40:41 -0800
William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Nils Bruin <nbr...@cecm.sfu.ca> wrote:
>
> > I would hope it's feasible to get the transition to
> > Maxima-interfacing-via-strings-in-ecl-as-a-library considerably
> > under way. Do you have people attending who would be knowledgable
> > and willing in getting that off the ground?
>
> Yes:
>
> * me
> * Mike Hansen
> * Burcin Erocal
> * Robert Bradshaw
>
> In fact, that's almost everybody really involved with the core
> symbolics implementation.

I'm definitely interested in making this happen.

> > For accommodation:
> >  - Alexa is considering coming down as well. You could try to pick
> > her brain on differential rings, which she implemented in Magma,
> > but her main goal would be shopping.

Past few months, on and off, I've been staring at the magma
documentation on differential rings and wondering where to start. I
would really like the chance to pick her brains. I'm sure Seattle has
some great shopping centers. :)

Note that I am more involved with difference rings, and don't know much
about differential algebra (yet). One of the topics of Sage Days 24 at
RISC [1] will be differential algebra. I wouldn't mind getting some
basic functionality in Sage till then.

[1] http://wiki.sagemath.org/days24

Cheers,
Burcin

William Stein

Jan 11, 2010, 6:52:26 PM1/11/10
to Willem Jan Palenstijn, Willem Jan Palenstijn, sagedays19
Hi Willem,

Do you have a plan to get from the airport to the Sage Days workshop
on Friday? Two of us -- Arthur Gaer (at 9pm) and me (at 10pm) will
be arriving at the airport 1 and 2 hours after you. Assuming we all
make it, we could meet at the airport and I could drive to the Shuey
House. Thoughts?

William

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics

Mike Hansen

Jan 11, 2010, 7:07:07 PM1/11/10
to saged...@googlegroups.com, Willem Jan Palenstijn, Willem Jan Palenstijn
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 5:52 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Willem,
>
> Do you have a plan to get from the airport to the Sage Days workshop
> on Friday?     Two of us -- Arthur Gaer (at 9pm) and me (at 10pm) will
> be arriving at the airport 1 and 2 hours after you.   Assuming we all
> make it, we could meet at the airport and I could drive to the Shuey
> House.   Thoughts?

Sarah and I are arriving at 8:15 pm from Minneapolis -- we just got
our tickets yesterday. We were just going to get a cab to the house
so Willem can catch a ride with us.

--Mike

Willem Jan Palenstijn

Jan 12, 2010, 7:18:05 AM1/12/10
to William Stein, sagedays19
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 03:52:26PM -0800, William Stein wrote:
> Hi Willem,
>
> Do you have a plan to get from the airport to the Sage Days workshop
> on Friday? Two of us -- Arthur Gaer (at 9pm) and me (at 10pm) will
> be arriving at the airport 1 and 2 hours after you. Assuming we all
> make it, we could meet at the airport and I could drive to the Shuey
> House. Thoughts?

Hi William,

Thanks for the offer! I'll try to catch a cab with Mike Hansen since
he's arriving around the same time as me, but if my flight is delayed,
I'll look for you (i.e., no need to wait for me).

See you on friday!
-Willem Jan

William Stein

Jan 12, 2010, 9:49:16 AM1/12/10
to sagedays19

Sounds good. Wifi is free at the airport, so you can email me your
status. I'll check my email when I land.

William

Mike Hansen

Jan 15, 2010, 4:41:03 PM1/15/10
to w...@usecode.org, saged...@googlegroups.com, William Stein
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 6:18 AM, Willem Jan Palenstijn <w...@usecode.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the offer! I'll try to catch a cab with Mike Hansen since
> he's arriving around the same time as me, but if my flight is delayed,
> I'll look for you (i.e., no need to wait for me).

Our flight was delayed (AS 5014) until 8:54pm. We'll keep an eye out
for you, but you're more than welcome to head into town early if you
don't feel like waiting around.

--Mike

William Stein

Jan 15, 2010, 8:18:40 PM1/15/10
to Mike Hansen, w...@usecode.org, saged...@googlegroups.com

in case it turns out to be relevant my car is a 2 seater, so I do not
have extra room.