smith normal form tools of Mark McConnell

mhaluk

Jun 24, 2009, 3:46:25 PM6/24/09
to sagedays16
Hi there,

Has anyone, especially William and David, used the free software
called
Sheafhom by Mark McConnells? He has used his software in his joint
work on
cohomology of SL(4,Z) with Avner Ash and Paul Gunnells achieving
significant computational
results.

Here is his webpage: http://www.geocities.com/mmcconnell17704/math.html

Although the software focuses on matrices over Z, it is supposed to
treat
any PID. I wonder how fast it is and if it is attractive to Sage
project.

best
Haluk

John Cremona

Jun 24, 2009, 4:59:06 PM6/24/09
to saged...@googlegroups.com
I haven't used it. I remember him talking about it several years ago
at a Magma meeting (the one in Milwaukee), where it sounded very
ambitious with little yet done. So it is interesting that it did
progress, and quite surprising that it is done in lisp!

John

William Stein

Jun 24, 2009, 5:00:55 PM6/24/09
to saged...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 9:46 PM, mhaluk<haluk...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Has anyone, especially William and David, used the free software
> called
> Sheafhom by Mark McConnells? He has used his software in his joint
> work on
> cohomology of SL(4,Z) with Avner Ash and Paul Gunnells achieving
> significant computational
> results.

I don't know about it, but strangely enough I did hang out with Mark McConnell
a lot in Princeton two weeks ago.

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics