Talk about the F5 Algorithm - basics & wishes?

Christian Eder

Jun 4, 2009, 3:14:27 AM6/4/09
to sagedays16
Hi all,

I will talk about Faugere's F5 Algorithm at the Sage Days. First of
all it would be nice to know the basics everyone has about Gröbner
bases and F5:
- Do we need an introduction to Gröbner bases?
- Does everyone know basically how F5 works?

Moreover you can also use this discussion to tell me what special
topics about F5 and its implementations you are most interested in. I
will try to comply with your wishes.

Christian Eder

Chris Wuthrich

Jun 4, 2009, 4:26:07 AM6/4/09
to saged...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,

I know how Bucherberger's algorithm for Gröbner basis works, but I
have never heard of F5.
So it would be nice if you could tell us the basics of F5.

Chris.

John Cremona

Jun 4, 2009, 4:27:53 AM6/4/09
to saged...@googlegroups.com
I would say that most people would know what G. bases are, but that
you cannot assume that your audience has even heard of F5. I have
heard of it and possibly even heard a talk about it, but could not
possibly say what it was at all precisely. And I suspect that the
audience will contain a lot of people less knowledgable than me ;)

Others may disagree; but the readers of sagedays16 may not be
representative of your audience.

John Cremona

PS Chris W's reply came in while I wrote that, and it confirms my view!

Utpal Sarkar

Jun 4, 2009, 5:06:26 AM6/4/09
to saged...@googlegroups.com
I personally know practically nothing about Groebner bases (not to speak of F5) and a brief introduction to them would be more than welcome.

Utpal

Sebastian Pancratz

Jun 4, 2009, 5:25:54 AM6/4/09
to saged...@googlegroups.com
Dear Christian,

I am a PhD student in my first year, so I think it's fair to assume that in many
areas I know less than most people attending SAGE Days. Regarding your talk, I
have come across the definition of a Gröbner basis a few times, but do not know
much about this. With your talk in mind, could you perhaps suggest suitable
references to provide an introduction?

Many thanks,

Sebastian

In message <0bb2a1c3-5330-46f6...@h11g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>