AMS Short course

1 view

William Stein

Dec 24, 2009, 3:50:41 PM12/24/09
to sageday18
Hi,

The AMS Short Course committee contacted me about the possibility of a
Sage-related short course during the joint math meetings in 2011.
I'm interested in putting together a proposal for short course on the
same topic as Sage Days 18 (i.e., computations related to BSD).
Please write to me if you think this is something you would be very
interested in being involved with. Here's some info on what a short
involves:

"In preliminary discussions, the idea of a Short Course on SAGE was
raised and I am writing to find out if you would have any interest in
organizing such a short course
at the 2011 JMMs that will take place in January 2011, in New Orleans.
The recent SAGE Days 13 at UGA was very popular here, and highly
regarded.
As you may know, a typical short course has 5-6 speakers. There is
sufficient time for 6 lectures over two days; some groups have chosen
to have one or more panels instead of a lecture or two. An important
aspect of the program is that a publication results from the Short
Course; the senior organizer is usually the editor of the volume that
is printed in the AMS series, Proceedings of Symposia in Applied
Mathematics. AMS staff provide support for the Short Course itself
and the publication of the volume. There will be a total of $7500
available to the organizers and speakers for travel and
subsistence (foreign travel is limited to $1500)."

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics

Dimitar Jetchev

Dec 24, 2009, 7:38:17 PM12/24/09
to sage...@googlegroups.com
I think this is a very good idea and I'd be happy to get involved. I
could also help with the organization of the short course.

Best wishes for Merry Christmas!
--Dimitar